Chicago Fire to compete in SuperLiga 2009
BRIDGEVIEW, ILL. (November 24, 2008) - The Chicago Fire has qualified as one of four Major League Soccer teams to compete in SuperLiga 2009. The Fire will be joined by the 2008 SuperLiga Champion New England Revolution as well as the Kansas City Wizards, and Chivas USA. Dates, venues, and participating Mexican teams for SuperLiga 2009 will be announced at a later date.
In 2009, eight MLS teams will compete in either the 2009/2010 CONCACAF Champions League or SuperLiga, but not both. MLS Cup Champion Columbus Crew, MLS Cup Runner-up New York Red Bulls, U.S. Open Cup Champion D.C. United, and the Western Conference regular season points leader Houston Dynamo will participate in the 2009/2010 CONCACAF Champions League. The top four teams, based on regular season record, not competing in the CONCACAF Champions League were then selected for SuperLiga 2009. The Fire will be competing in SuperLiga for the first time in team history.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 24, 2008
- Chicago Fire Weekly Notes - Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Kansas City Wizards Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes Announce List of Players Available For MLS Expansion Draft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Announces Protected Player List For Expansion Draft - Chicago Fire
- Rapids Announce Protected Player List for 2008 MLS Expansion Draft - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Announced List of Player Available for MLS Expansion Draft - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Protects 11 Players in Advance of Wednesday's MLS Expansion Draft - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA submits 11-player Protected Roster for Wednesday's MLS Expansion Draft - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- MLS Expansion Draft Takes Place November 26 - MLS
- Earthquakes Trade Jovan Kirovski to Los Angeles Galaxy in Exchange for a Conditional Draft Pick - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Re-signs Defender Jamison Olave - Real Salt Lake
- Wizards Acquire Forward Adam Cristman from New England Revolution - Sporting Kansas City
- Revolution Trades Cristman to Kansas City - New England Revolution
- D.C. United holds Holiday Auction online - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire to compete in SuperLiga 2009 - Chicago Fire
- Revolution to Participate in SuperLiga 2009 - New England Revolution
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Bastian Schweinsteiger Ranked No. 5 on List of Top-Selling Adidas MLS Jerseys
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Exercises 2020 Contract Options for Micheal Azira, Jeremiah Gutjahr and Fabian Herbers
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Acquire Former Real Madrid Midfielder Alvaro Medran
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club, City of Chicago and Chicago Park District Announce the Team's Return to Soldier Field
- Chicago Fire Defender Bastian Schweinsteiger Retires from Professional Soccer