Chicago Fire Weekly Notes
Major League Soccer's 2009 expansion side Seattle Sounders will participate in a 10-round 2008 MLS Expansion Draft scheduled for the afternoon of Wednesday, Nov. 26. Each MLS team is allowed to protect from selection in the draft 11 players off their roster. The Chicago Fire chose to protect a mixture of veteran and up-and-coming talent, most notably protecting Chicago native Brian McBride, Designated Player Cuauhtémoc Blanco, the team's leading scorer for 2008, Chris Rolfe, and Panasonic MLS Goalkeeper of the Jon Busch. Forward Patrick Nyarko is protected automatically as a Generation adidas player while defender Bakary Soumare will be graduating from the Generation adidas program and therefore will not automatically be protected.
The following is the full list of the Fire's 11 protected players:
Goalkeepers: Jon Busch
Defenders: Wilman Conde, Bakary Soumare, Dasan Robinson, and Gonzalo Segares
Midfielders: Cuauhtémoc Blanco, Justin Mapp, Logan Pause, John Thorrington
Forwards: Chris Rolfe, Brian McBride
CHICAGO FIRE'S DIEGO GUTIERREZ HONORED WITH COMMISSIONER'S AWARD
Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber presented Chicago Fire defender Diego Gutierrez with the 2008 Commissioner's Award, given at the MLS Gala Awards Ceremony held in Los Angeles on the eve of the 13th MLS Cup championship game. The MLS Commissioner's Award is presented annually to the group or individual that has made a difference and contributed significantly to the league and the sport in America.
THREE FIRE PLAYERS NAMED TO 2008 MLS BEST XI
Three Chicago Fire players were named to the MLS Bext XI this past weekend including Volkswagen MLS Most Valuable Player Finalist Cuauhtémoc Blanco, Panasonic MLS Goalkeeper of the Year Jon Busch, and MLS Defender of the Year Finalist Bakary Soumare. The winners were unveiled Saturday during the MLS Awards Gala in Los Angeles on the eve of MLS Cup 2008.
CHICAGO FIRE TO COMPETE IN SUPERLIGA 2009
With a record of 13-10-7 (46 pts.) during the 2008 MLS regular season, the Chicago Fire has qualified to compete in SuperLiga 2009. The top four teams, based on regular season record, who are not competing in CONCACAF Champions League in 2009, qualified for SuperLiga 2009. Given these criteria, joining the Fire from MLS will be the New England Revolution, Kansas City Wizards, and Chivas USA. Dates, venues, and Mexican teams participating will be announced at a later date.
MLS ADJUSTS ROSTER SIZES FOR 2009
Major League Soccer has announced that each team will be permitted to carry 18, 19 or 20 senior roster players (at its option) within the overall salary budget. In addition, teams will be permitted to carry up to four developmental players (including Generation adidas players) outside of the team salary budget. Any team with more than four Generation adidas players carried forward from 2008 will be grandfathered with respect to the size of their developmental roster. Previously, teams carried a total of 28 players (18 senior, 10 developmental) on their rosters.
CORPORATE SALES ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE SIXSMITH EARNS MLS BEST XI HONORS IN TWO CATEGORIES
Chicago Fire account executive Bill Sixsmith earned MLS Best XI honors in two categories as the league recognized individuals and teams for outstanding contributions off the playing field. Sixsmith finished seventh in Total Ticket Revenue and sixth in Group Ticket Sales throughout the league. Sixsmith was honored with the other team and executive award winners during the MLS Awards Gala in Los Angeles over the weekend.
BLANCO LAUNCHES 'DIRECTO AL BLANCO' RADIO PROGRAM TUESDAY
"Directo al Blanco" a full-hour live radio program hosted by Fire midfielder Cuauhtémoc Blanco debuts this Tuesday, Nov. 25, at 6:00 p.m. CT. Listeners are encouraged to call and talk to Blanco about the latest soccer-related news regarding the Chicago Fire, Major League Soccer, and the Mexican Primera Division. The show will air every Tuesday at 6 p.m. CT on RadioCadena stations in Chicago (WRTO-AM), Las Vegas (KLSQ-AM), Los Angeles (KTNQ-AM), San Francisco (KLOK-AM), El Paso (KAMA-AM), San Antonio (KCOR-AM), Dallas (KFLC-AM), McAllen (KGBT-AM), Houston (KLAT-AM), New York (WADO-AM), and Miami (WQBA-AM).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 24, 2008
- Chicago Fire Weekly Notes - Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Kansas City Wizards Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes Announce List of Players Available For MLS Expansion Draft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Announces Protected Player List For Expansion Draft - Chicago Fire
- Rapids Announce Protected Player List for 2008 MLS Expansion Draft - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Announced List of Player Available for MLS Expansion Draft - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Protects 11 Players in Advance of Wednesday's MLS Expansion Draft - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA submits 11-player Protected Roster for Wednesday's MLS Expansion Draft - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- MLS Expansion Draft Takes Place November 26 - MLS
- Earthquakes Trade Jovan Kirovski to Los Angeles Galaxy in Exchange for a Conditional Draft Pick - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Re-signs Defender Jamison Olave - Real Salt Lake
- Wizards Acquire Forward Adam Cristman from New England Revolution - Sporting Kansas City
- Revolution Trades Cristman to Kansas City - New England Revolution
- D.C. United holds Holiday Auction online - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire to compete in SuperLiga 2009 - Chicago Fire
- Revolution to Participate in SuperLiga 2009 - New England Revolution
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire Academy Goalkeeper Damian Las Called up to U-17 U.S. Men's National Team for 2019 CONCACAF U-17 Championship
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - April 21, 2019
- Chicago Fire Dominates the Colorado Rapids in 4-1 Win
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - April 15, 2019
- Chicago Fire Draws Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1-1, Extends Unbeaten Run to Three Games