Chivas USA Weekly Update
SACHA KLJESTAN NAMED TO 2008 MLS BEST XI: Chivas USA midfielder and Huntington Beach native Sacha Kljestan was named on Saturday to the MLS Best XI, an annual award recognizing the Major League Soccer's top 11 players at each individual position on the field - one goalkeeper, three defenders, five midfielders and two forwards. Kljestan, who was also named Chivas USA's 2008 MVP and won the team's Budweiser Golden Boot as the squad's leading scorer, is the second Chivas USA player to be named to the Best XI, after goalkeeper Brad Guzan earned the honor in 2007. The Best XI members received the most votes from the media, MLS players and MLS coaches and general managers.
SHAVAR THOMAS IN JAMAICA SQUAD FOR DIGICEL CARIBBEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS: Chivas USA defender Shavar Thomas is in Jamaica's 29-man training squad for the upcoming Digicel Caribbean Championships, which will be hosted in Jamaica from December 1-15. Thomas has made a total of 12 appearances with the senior Jamaican National Team and has been a part of Jamaica's squad for the Reggae Boyz' last five World Cup Qualifiers. The players will be part of an initial camp until Friday, after which the full squad for the Championships will be named.
CHIVAS USA SUBMITS PROTECTED ROSTER FOR 2008 MLS EXPANSION DRAFT: Per MLS rules, Chivas USA submitted on Monday its 11-player Protected Roster for the 2008 MLS Expansion Draft, scheduled to take place this Wednesday, Nov. 26. Like all 14 current MLS clubs, Chivas USA was allowed to protect only 11 players between its Senior and Developmental rosters, leaving 20 Chivas players available for selection by 2009 expansion entrant Seattle Sounders FC. Expansion Draft rules have evolved since Chivas USA and Real Salt Lake participated in the 2004 MLS Expansion Draft, when teams could protect 12 Senior Roster players; Developmental Roster players were automatically protected. A full list of Chivas USA players that were protected can be found at cdchivasusa.com, and additional information on the Expansion Draft can be found by checking the Red-and-White's official blog, Dentro del Rebaño.
JONATHAN BORNSTEIN AND SACHA KLJESTAN HELP U.S. TO A 2-0 WIN IN WORLD CUP QUALIFYING: Chivas USA players Jonathan Bornstein and Sacha Kljestan each played the full match for the United States in its 2-0 victory over Guatemala last Wednesday in the semifinal round of CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying. The U.S. had already secured passage to the final round of CONCACAF Qualifying, to begin on Feb. 11 against Mexico. Bornstein, a native of Los Alamitos, Calif., has made a total of 13 appearances with the U.S. National Team, while Kljestan, originally from Huntington Beach, has been with the U.S. for each World Cup Qualifier so far in 2008, and has 12 appearances with the U.S. in his career.
YOUTH TEAM UPDATE: SQUADS LOOK TO U.S. SOCCER DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY SHOWCASE IN LANCASTER, CALIF.: The Chivas USA U-16 and U-18 Teams will play their next matches in the second annual Development Academy Winter Showcase, taking place from Dec. 5-8 at the Lancaster National Soccer Center in Lancaster, Calif. All 148 teams representing 74 clubs, plus the U.S. Under-17 Men's National Team, will participate in 240 games over the extended weekend. At the showcase, the Red-and-White will play three games, including two against other MLS youth sides. On Friday, Dec. 5, both teams will square off against the Chicago Fire, followed by Seacoast United on Sunday, Dec. 7 and the Colorado Rapids on Monday, Dec. 8. A new component of this year's Academy Winter Showcase will be the Nike International Friendlies, featuring Under-17 Men's National Teams from the U.S., Australia and Brazil. The games will be played on a reserved field at the Lancaster National Soccer Center.
'KICK-IT' NEXT UP ON SATURDAY, DECEMBER 6 AT FIELD OF DREAMS IN SAN PEDRO: 'Kick-it at the Park L.A. with Chivas USA' continues on Saturday, Dec. 6, with a clinic at the Field of Dreams, located at the corner of Gaffey Street and Westmont in San Pedro, 90731. A series of four, 90-minute clinics kicks off at 9:00 a.m., followed by clinics at 10:45 a.m., 1:00 p.m. and 2:45 p.m. Run in conjunction with the City of Los Angeles Department of Recreation and Parks, 'Kick-it' is a series of clinics that emphasize physical fitness, sports, and education for as many as 400 children at each of 40 locations throughout the year. A five-dollar fee gets participants 90 minutes of instruction, a voucher for a future Chivas USA game, a t-shirt, soccer ball, and Certificate of Completion. Most recently, Chivas USA held a clinic at the Boyle Heights Sports Center at 933 S. Mott Street, Los Angeles, 90023 on Nov. 22. For more information on the program, or to register for a clinic, visit www.kickitatthepark.com.
WATCH 'SOMOS CHIVAS USA' ON KAZA AZTECA 54 THIS SATURDAY AT 1:30 P.M. PT: Fans, don't miss as special playoff edition Chivas USA's official weekly TV show, "Somos Chivas USA'. Featuring renowned co-hosts Mara Almada and Antonio Rosique, with reporting by renowned Chiva-expert Ramón Diaz, 'Somos Chivas USA' gives viewers an inside look at the Red-and-White, including player features, match analysis, highlights, and much more. This week's 'Somos Chivas USA' is scheduled to air on KAZA Azteca 54 in Los Angeles on Saturday, Nov. 29, at 1:30 p.m. PT. Tune in this Saturday for your 'Somos Chivas USA!'
VISIT 'DENTRO DEL REBAÑO', CHIVAS USA'S OFFICIAL BLOG: Chivas USA's official blog, 'Dentro del Rebaño' (or 'Inside the Flock') is online with updated content from the team, including video previews of upcoming games, as well as post-match videos. Check http://chivas-usa.blogspot.com today for the latest information on Chivas USA!
CHIVAS USA BIRTHDAYS: Three Chivas USA players have already celebrated their November birthdays; Jonathan Bornstein turned 24 on Nov. 7, Jesse Marsch turned 35 the next day, and on Nov. 11, Daniel Paladini turned 24.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 24, 2008
- Chicago Fire Weekly Notes - Chicago Fire
- Chivas USA Weekly Update - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Kansas City Wizards Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes Announce List of Players Available For MLS Expansion Draft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Announces Protected Player List For Expansion Draft - Chicago Fire
- Rapids Announce Protected Player List for 2008 MLS Expansion Draft - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Announced List of Player Available for MLS Expansion Draft - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Protects 11 Players in Advance of Wednesday's MLS Expansion Draft - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA submits 11-player Protected Roster for Wednesday's MLS Expansion Draft - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- MLS Expansion Draft Takes Place November 26 - MLS
- Earthquakes Trade Jovan Kirovski to Los Angeles Galaxy in Exchange for a Conditional Draft Pick - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Re-signs Defender Jamison Olave - Real Salt Lake
- Wizards Acquire Forward Adam Cristman from New England Revolution - Sporting Kansas City
- Revolution Trades Cristman to Kansas City - New England Revolution
- D.C. United holds Holiday Auction online - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire to compete in SuperLiga 2009 - Chicago Fire
- Revolution to Participate in SuperLiga 2009 - New England Revolution
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Club Deportivo Chivas USA Stories
- Chivas USA Shutout SJ Earthquakes 1-0 in Season Finale
- Chivas USA Fall in Road Finale, 2-0, at Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA's Season Finale Kickoff Time Rescheduled
- Chivas USA Knock off Colorado Rapids, 2-1, in Series Finale
- Chivas USA Youth Academy Trio Called up to U.S. U-14 BNT Training Camp