Early ThunderBolts Runs Doom Grizzlies
SAUGET, Ill. - The Gateway Grizzlies allowed six runs in the first inning Friday night and never recovered in a 10-2 loss to the Windy City ThunderBolts at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
Gateway (14-17) lost its second straight.
Lucas Lanphere (1-3) took the loss, although he worked through five innings to save the Grizzlies' bullpen any additional work.
Ian Kahaloa threw two scoreless frames out of the Gateway 'pen and Jason Seever added one of his own. They combined to strike out four without a walk.
Andrew Daniel went 2-for-3 with his league-leading 11th double of 2019 and drew a walk. His was the Grizzlies' only multi-hit performance Friday. Brent Sakurai picked up his 17th RBI, but his 14-game hitting streak came to a close; he was left in the on-deck circle when Anthony Ray bounced into a game-ending double play.
Ray and Jamey Smart both added doubles of their own.
Gateway and Windy City will tangle again in game two of their three-game series at 7:05 p.m. CDT Saturday at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Early ThunderBolts Runs Doom Grizzlies - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Stun Rascals with Walk-Off Win - River City Rascals
- Wild Things Rout Slammers in Game One, 12-0 - Joliet Slammers
- ThunderBolts Offense Explodes in Win at Gateway - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Freedom Drop Series Opener with Lake Erie - Florence Y'alls
- Boomers Break Slide by Doubling up Otters - Schaumburg Boomers
- Cardinals Sign Roach - River City Rascals
- Lake Erie Wins Series in Joliet with Late Game Magic - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascals Win Finale 4-1 - River City Rascals
- Welch Goes Eight Strong as Otters Earn Series Win - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.