ThunderBolts Offense Explodes in Win at Gateway
SAUGET, IL - The ThunderBolts scored six runs in the first inning and racked up a season-high 17 hits in a 10-2 victory over the Gateway Grizzlies at GCS Credit Union Ballpark Friday night.
The Bolts (15-16), who had scored only eight runs over their previous six games, wasted no time in jumping on Lucas Lanphere, who had thrown a complete game shutout at Windy City last week. They sent ten men to the plate and collected seven hits in the first inning. Tyler Alamo started the scoring with an RBI single and Shane Carrier drove in two with a double. With two outs in the inning, Randy Perez singled home another run and Brett Coffel hit an RBI triple for his first professional hit. Brynn Martinez finished the scoring in the inning, knocking in Coffel with a single.
Alamo struck again in the second with an RBI double to extend the lead to 7-0.
The Grizzlies (14-17) made a game of it with two runs in the fifth inning. Matt McPhearson and Anthony Ray reached on hits and scored on a groundout and an error, respectively.
Lanphere and a pair of relievers slowed down the ThunderBolt offense after the second to keep the score 7-2, but the Bolts put it away in the ninth. After Patrick Boyle walked the bases loaded, Coffel and Martinez singled home the three runs to make the final score 10-2.
Coffel, Martinez, Carrier and Dash Winningham all finished with three hits for the ThunderBolts.
Christian Morris (2-3) allowed one earned run in six innings for the win and Lanphere (1-3) went five innings and took the loss.
Game two between the ThunderBolts and Grizzlies is Saturday night. Cole Bellair (Pro Debut) starts for Windy City against Gateway's Jordan Barrett (1-2, 5.46). First pitch from GCS Credit Union Ballpark is scheduled for 7:05 and the broadcast can be heard on WXAV, 88.3 FM and wxav.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Early ThunderBolts Runs Doom Grizzlies - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Stun Rascals with Walk-Off Win - River City Rascals
- Wild Things Rout Slammers in Game One, 12-0 - Joliet Slammers
- ThunderBolts Offense Explodes in Win at Gateway - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Freedom Drop Series Opener with Lake Erie - Florence Y'alls
- Boomers Break Slide by Doubling up Otters - Schaumburg Boomers
- Cardinals Sign Roach - River City Rascals
- Lake Erie Wins Series in Joliet with Late Game Magic - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascals Win Finale 4-1 - River City Rascals
- Welch Goes Eight Strong as Otters Earn Series Win - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.