Wild Things Rout Slammers in Game One, 12-0
After having 3 guys strike out in the 1st inning, the Wild Things got the bats going in the 2nd inning. JJ Fernandez lead off the inning with a single, he was followed by Cody Erickson who hit a double. Both Fernandez and Erickson would score in the inning to make it 2-0.
The Wild Things lead off the top of the 4th inning with 3 straight hits, two of which were for extra bases. JJ Fernandez, Cody Erickson, and Ryan Cox all had RBI's in the inning, giving the Wild Things a 5-0 lead. That would also be the last inning of work for Slammers starter Matt Quintana. Mitch McIntyre would come on in relief in the top of the 5th inning.
In the top of the 7th inning, the Wild Things added insult to injury. After a walk and an error, Mikael Mogues lifted a 3-run homerun over the right field wall giving the Wild Things an 8-0 lead. They would add another run later in the inning with an RBI single from Cody Erickson. The Wild Things would get another 3-run homerun from Cameron Baranek in the 9th making it a 12-0 game.
The Slammers weren't able to get the bats going at the right times tonight. London Lindley lead off 2 innings with hits but was left stranded both times. Through the first 7 innings, the Slammers only had 3 guys get into scoring position. Pair that with only 6 hits and 8 strikeouts- it was a rough night all around for the home team.
Slammers starter, Matt Quintana didn't get the outing he was hoping, as he gave up 5 runs in only 4 innings of work. Quintana did have the strikeout pitch working tonight, he struck out 9 while only allowing 1 walk. Quintana would be credited with the loss.
The Wild Things benefited from a great outing from starting pitcher John Havird. He threw a complete game shut-out, as the Slammers had no answers for him. Havird only allowed 6 hits, struck out 8, and didn't issue a single walk.
With the win, the Wild Things improve their record to 10-22. That Slammers fall to 11-20 with the loss. Game 2 of this series will be Saturday, June 15th. First pitch is scheduled for 6:05 p.m. There will also be fireworks at the conclusion of tomorrow night's game.
Tonight's Merchants and Manufacturer's Bank Player of the Game is: London Lindley (2-3)
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 14, 2019
- Early ThunderBolts Runs Doom Grizzlies - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Stun Rascals with Walk-Off Win - River City Rascals
- Wild Things Rout Slammers in Game One, 12-0 - Joliet Slammers
- ThunderBolts Offense Explodes in Win at Gateway - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Freedom Drop Series Opener with Lake Erie - Florence Y'alls
- Boomers Break Slide by Doubling up Otters - Schaumburg Boomers
- Cardinals Sign Roach - River City Rascals
- Lake Erie Wins Series in Joliet with Late Game Magic - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascals Win Finale 4-1 - River City Rascals
- Welch Goes Eight Strong as Otters Earn Series Win - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.