Eagles Aided with Addition of Akim Aliu
LOVELAND, Colo. - The Colorado Eagles, proud affiliate of the NHL's Winnipeg Jets & the AHL's St. John's IceCaps, announced today that forward Akim Aliu (pronounced: AH-KEEM al-ee-oo) has been sent to the team through its affiliation agreements.
Born in Nigeria, Aliu's family moved to Ukraine shortly after his birth before settling in Canada when he was an adolescent -- making him fluent in both Russian and English. Just as his background is uncommon, so too are his hockey skills. Aliu was a 2nd Round draft pick (#56 overall) of the Chicago Blackhawks in 2007 and possesses a great blend of size (6-foot-3-inches, 220 pounds) and skill.
The right-handed shooting winger is entering his third season as a pro, having played 114 games at the AHL level and 29 in the ECHL in that span. At the ECHL level, Alui has registered more than a point-per-game (1.17), compiling 34 points (17-17-34) playing one stint each with the Toledo Walleye & the Gwinnett Gladiators.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from October 21, 2011
- Gladiators Trample Road Warriors in Home Opener, 6-1 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Road Warriors lose first road game - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Starling Placed on Waivers - Ontario Reign
- Titans Announce Flyers Alumni Wednesdays - Trenton Titans
- Bill Underwood Named Titans Scout - Trenton Titans
- Ontario Adds Rookie Defenseman - Ontario Reign
- ECHL Transactions - October 21 - ECHL
- Thunder Acquires Future Considerations From Greenville in Exchange for RW Tyler Shelast - Stockton Thunder
- Greenville Road Warriors Trade for Tyler Shelast - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- K-Wings Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- K-Wings Sign Zapolski - Kalamazoo Wings
- Eagles Aided with Addition of Akim Aliu - Colorado Eagles
- Chicago Express Countdown to Puck Drop: 1 Day - Chicago Express
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder at Colorado Eagles - Stockton Thunder
- Kearns Becomes 469th ECHL Player To Reach NHL - ECHL
- Greenville Road Warriors Game Preview - October 21, 2011 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira Vs. Florida - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Today - October 21 - ECHL
- Aces Hold off Steelheads in 4-2 Win - Alaska Aces
- Idaho Rally Comes up Short in Alaska - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Eagles Sign Forward Kale Kessy to Professional Tryout Agreement
- Colorado Eagles Announce Eighth Annual "Pot of Gold" Recipient
- Quine's Hat Trick Leads Stockton to 6-3 Win over Eagles
- Agozzino Receives Call up to NHL, Dries and Toninato Return
- Eagles Fall to Heat 5-2 in Fight-Filled Contest