Dynamo Sign DF Erik McCue to Homegrown Player Contract
HOUSTON - The Houston Dynamo have signed Dynamo Academy defender Erik McCue to a Homegrown Player contract, the club announced today. McCue will be eligible to join the Dynamo first team roster for the 2019 season.
McCue, 17, is the tenth Dynamo Academy alumnus to sign a first-team contract with the club. He joins goalkeeper Tyler Deric and midfielder Memo Rodriguez as the third Dynamo Academy alumnus on the current First Team roster. He will continue to play with the Academy's Under-19 team during the upcoming offseason.
Since joining the Dynamo Academy, McCue established himself as an integral member of the Academy Under-17 and Under-19 teams, earning the right to wear the captain's armband. He helped lead the U-17 team to the US Soccer Development Academy (USSDA) playoffs at the end of the season, earning U-17 Most Valuable Player accolades from the Academy coaching staff at the annual Dynamo Academy Awards banquet in June.
"We are pleased to announce Erik McCue as a Homegrown signing for the Houston Dynamo First Team. He has demonstrated a strong mentality, work ethic and willingness to learn that is necessary to take this next step in his career," said Dynamo Senior Vice President and General Manger Matt Jordan. "Erik has been a standout performer with both the U-17 and U-19 teams in our Academy and has benefited greatly from his time with our USL team and training with the First Team. I'd also like to acknowledge the hard work of our Academy and First Team staffs in helping Erik's growth as a player. As a club, we understand that becoming a professional is a process and we look forward to helping Erik continue to grow and develop."
Perhaps more indicative of his impact on the team and on the Academy, McCue was voted Players' Player of the Year by his U-17 teammates and received the Ricardo Clark Leadership Award, given annually to the Academy player who exhibits the strongest leadership qualities during the season, regardless of age group.
"Erik is a very talented young player who already has all the tools and qualities to be a successful soccer player and to play in MLS. To find a player with his size, technique, and fire to play the position is good for us," said Dynamo head coach Wilmer Cabrera. "This will be a big step for him, but we believe that he is ready to play at the professional level and we are excited for him. We are thankful with our Academy for the job they have done finding and developing players, especially with such strong quality and mentality."
McCue was one of five Dynamo Academy players who spent time training in residence with RGV FC, the club's USL team located in Edinburg, Texas, this summer. He has also trained regularly with the Dynamo first team throughout the summer and fall.
McCue was born in Onsala, Sweden and has lived in Europe, Asia and Washington D.C. prior to moving to Houston in 2017. He is a dual citizen of both the United States and Sweden and is eligible to represent the United States or Sweden at the international level one day.
TRANSACTION: The Houston Dynamo sign DF Erik McCue to a Homegrown Player contract.
ERIK McCUE PROFILE:
Date of Birth:
January 18, 2001
United States / Sweden
2017-18 Houston Dynamo Academy Ricardo Clark Leadership Award
2017-18 Houston Dynamo Academy U-17 Player of the Year
2017-18 Houston Dynamo Academy U-17 Player's Player of the Year
Signed to a Homegrown Player Contract on October 30, 2018.
Images from this story
Houston Dynamo DF Erik McCue and Sr. Vice President & General Manger Matt Jordan
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 30, 2018
- FC Dallas. Portland Timbers. the Playoffs Return to DFW. - FC Dallas
- Timbers Weekly Update: October 30, 2018 - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Goalkeeper Matt Bersano Undergoes Surgery on Hand - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Cincinnati to Unveil MLS Identity on November 12 - MLS
- Dynamo Sign DF Erik McCue to Homegrown Player Contract - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire Defender Brandon Vincent to Retire from Professional Soccer - Chicago Fire
- Columbus Crew SC Forward Gyasi Zardes Named Alcatel Major League Soccer Player of the Week - Columbus Crew SC
- Columbus Crew SC Forward Gyasi Zardes Voted Alcatel MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Colorado Rapids Announce Switchbacks FC as New USL Affiliate - Colorado Rapids
- TriEagle Energy Joins Houston Dynamo & Dash as Club's Official Energy Provider - Houston Dynamo
- Nashville MLS Appoints First General Manager - Nashville
- Rhian Wilkinson Named New Girls Elite Super REX Head Coach - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- The Playoff-Bound Clubs That Are Playing Their Kids - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Dynamo MF Eric Alexander Selected by FC Cincinnati in MLS Expansion Draft
- Dynamo Protect 11 Players Ahead of MLS Expansion Draft
- Houston Dynamo to Face CD Guastatoya in Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Round of 16
- 2019 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Draw to Take Place Today at 6 p.m.
- Dynamo DF Dylan Remick Announces Retirement