Colorado Rapids Announce Switchbacks FC as New USL Affiliate
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. - Colorado Rapids Soccer Club today announced a new affiliation agreement with United Soccer League (USL) side Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC.
"This is an exciting time for soccer in the region and we believe that this affiliation will not only be beneficial from an on-field performance and player development perspective for both clubs, but will also create a platform that fosters the growth of the sport in the state of Colorado," said Colorado Rapids Executive Vice President and General Manager Pádraig Smith.
Switchbacks FC Head Coach Steve Trittschuh, and the current technical staff, will retain their roles in the club. Additionally, Brian Crookham, Colorado Rapids Senior Director of Soccer Development, will serve as General Manager of Switchbacks FC as part of the affiliation.
"Professional soccer competition at both the USL Championship level and the Major League Soccer level is ever improving. We need new and efficient strategies to compete, communicate, and inspire. This affiliation lays a strong foundation to accomplish these goals and is ultimately a huge win for Colorado soccer," said Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC President Nick Ragain.
Per the affiliation, the Switchbacks' roster will be made up of a combination of full-time players signed to Switchbacks FC contracts, four season-long Rapids loan players, plus additional players on short term loans determined on a weekly basis. The Rapids reserve the option to recall players at any point during the loan.
This marks the second USL affiliation for the Rapids, having spent the last four seasons with Charlotte Independence.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 30, 2018
- FC Dallas. Portland Timbers. the Playoffs Return to DFW. - FC Dallas
- Timbers Weekly Update: October 30, 2018 - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Goalkeeper Matt Bersano Undergoes Surgery on Hand - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Cincinnati to Unveil MLS Identity on November 12 - MLS
- Dynamo Sign DF Erik McCue to Homegrown Player Contract - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire Defender Brandon Vincent to Retire from Professional Soccer - Chicago Fire
- Columbus Crew SC Forward Gyasi Zardes Named Alcatel Major League Soccer Player of the Week - Columbus Crew SC
- Columbus Crew SC Forward Gyasi Zardes Voted Alcatel MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Colorado Rapids Announce Switchbacks FC as New USL Affiliate - Colorado Rapids
- TriEagle Energy Joins Houston Dynamo & Dash as Club's Official Energy Provider - Houston Dynamo
- Nashville MLS Appoints First General Manager - Nashville
- Rhian Wilkinson Named New Girls Elite Super REX Head Coach - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- The Playoff-Bound Clubs That Are Playing Their Kids - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Striker Kei Kamara
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Attacking Midfielder Nicolas Mezquida from Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- U.S. Women's National Team to Play at Dick's Sporting Goods Park Ahead of 2019 Fifa Women's World Cup
- Colorado Rapids Announce Year-End Roster Moves Ahead of 2019 Campaign
- Colorado Rapids Announce Switchbacks FC as New USL Affiliate