Chicago Fire Defender Brandon Vincent to Retire from Professional Soccer
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. (Oct. 30, 2018) - Chicago Fire defender Brandon Vincent announced today that he will retire from professional soccer.
"Today I am announcing that, effective at the end of the year, I will be retiring from professional soccer," said Vincent. "This may come as a surprise to many, but I'm at a time in my life where it is best for me to move on from the game. I would like to sincerely thank everyone who helped turn a dream into reality. First and foremost, thank you to my family for the sacrifices you made that no one but us will know. Thank you to the Chicago Fire for the opportunity to be a part of the club for the past three seasons. My current and former teammates, thank you for making the locker room one to remember. Coaches, thank you for the valuable lessons. Thanks to all the support staff behind the scenes for your tireless work each and every day. Finally, to the supporters, a genuine thank you for your loyalty through our ups and downs. I truly respect your dedication to the club and its rich history of tradition, honor and passion. I hope you will soon get the chance to celebrate the success your support deserves. Chicago will always be a special place to me and I am forever grateful for the privilege I had of wearing the jersey and representing the city. I wish the club the best of luck and future success. Thanks for the incredible memories, Chicago! I can't wait to see what life brings next."
In three seasons with the Fire, Vincent appeared in 85 regular season matches, scoring three goals and adding 12 assists. Additionally, Vincent made one postseason appearance and eight appearances in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup, featuring in 94 matches across all competitions.
Selected by the Fire in the first round (fourth overall) of the 2016 MLS SuperDraft after leading Stanford University to the 2015 NCAA Men's College Cup, Vincent made his professional debut when he earned a start in the Fire's regular season opener on March 6, 2016. Vincent's rookie season was also highlighted by a selection to the 2016 AT&T MLS All-Star Team, with the defender playing 33 minutes in the match against English Premier League side Arsenal FC.
At the international level, the Valencia, Calif., native earned his first cap for the United States Men's National Team when he entered in the second half of a 1-0 win over Canada on Feb. 5, 2016.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 30, 2018
- FC Dallas. Portland Timbers. the Playoffs Return to DFW. - FC Dallas
- Timbers Weekly Update: October 30, 2018 - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes Goalkeeper Matt Bersano Undergoes Surgery on Hand - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Cincinnati to Unveil MLS Identity on November 12 - MLS
- Dynamo Sign DF Erik McCue to Homegrown Player Contract - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire Defender Brandon Vincent to Retire from Professional Soccer - Chicago Fire
- Columbus Crew SC Forward Gyasi Zardes Named Alcatel Major League Soccer Player of the Week - Columbus Crew SC
- Columbus Crew SC Forward Gyasi Zardes Voted Alcatel MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Colorado Rapids Announce Switchbacks FC as New USL Affiliate - Colorado Rapids
- TriEagle Energy Joins Houston Dynamo & Dash as Club's Official Energy Provider - Houston Dynamo
- Nashville MLS Appoints First General Manager - Nashville
- Rhian Wilkinson Named New Girls Elite Super REX Head Coach - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- The Playoff-Bound Clubs That Are Playing Their Kids - This Week in MLS - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire Selects Midfielder Cristian Martinez, Forward Marco Urena in 2018 MLS Waiver Draft
- Chicago Fire Announces Protected Players in Advance of 2018 MLS Expansion Draft
- Chicago Fire Acquires Forward Fabian Herbers
- Schweinsteiger, Nikolic Announced as 2018 Club Award Winners
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Re-Signs Designated Player Bastian Schweinsteiger