Durham Scores Late to Beat Tides
The Durham Bulls broke open a tie ballgame with four late runs to sink the Tides 7-3 in front of 7,352 fans Sunday evening at Harbor Park.
The contest was tied at 3-3 entering the seventh inning before the Bulls broke the stalemate with a two-run home run by Michah Johnson off of Andrew Faulkner (6-2). One inning later, Andrew Velazquez lined a two-run double off of Lucas Long to extend Durham's advantage to 7-3.
Norfolk starter John Means did not factor in the decision after turning in his team-leading 10th Quality Start of the season. Means yielded three runs on six hits over six innings of work, striking out four without walking a batter. The West Virginia University product now has 127 strikeouts between Norfolk and Bowie this season, the third-most among Orioles minor leaguers behind Keegan Akin (138) and Zac Lowther (137).
Mike Yastrzemski singled, walked and scored two runs to help pace Norfolk's offense, while Joey Rickard added a double and a run scored. Anthony Santander added a sacrifice fly and a run-scoring groundout for Norfolk, which dropped to 5-12 against Durham this season - including just 2-8 at Harbor Park.
With the loss, Norfolk's divisional hopes took a big hit, as the Tides (68-64) now find themselves 5.5 games back of the Bulls (73-58) with eight games left in the regular season. Durham's magic number to clinch the IL South division now stands at three.
The Tides are now one of four teams within 1.0 game of the IL Wild Card lead, currently held by Columbus (69-63). Toledo (68-63) is a half-game back of the Clippers, while Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (67-63) and the Tides are just 1.0 game back.
The Tides will wrap up their regular season home schedule on Monday night at Harbor Park, with first pitch slated for 7:05. Luis Ortiz (2-1, 3.43) is set to make the start for Norfolk and will be opposed by right-hander Jose Mujica (5-1, 2.70). There will be a postgame fireworks celebration on Monday, courtesy of Norfolk International Airport.
Notes: Chance Sisco singled in the sixth inning, giving him hits in eight of his last nine games...Joey Rickard doubled in the first inning and has now reached base safely in 37 of the 39 games in which he's had a plate appearance with Norfolk... Mike Yastrzemski has hit safely in 10 of his last 12 games, registering four home runs, 13 RBI and 11 runs scored over that stretch.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 26, 2018
- Stripers Buried Early in 10-4 Loss at Charlotte - Gwinnett Stripers
- Huffman Powers Hens to Third Straight Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- Durham Scores Late to Beat Tides - Norfolk Tides
- Wings Fall in Extras Sunday - Rochester Red Wings
- Luplow's Pinch-Hit Single Leads Tribe to Victory - Indianapolis Indians
- Gosewisch Walk-Off Single in 11th Pushes Salt Potatoes Past Red Wings - Syracuse Mets
- IronPigs Deal RailRiders 5-3 Defeat - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Pigs Fly to Second-Straight Win over Scranton - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Fall to PawSox, 8-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- Chavis, Ockimey Headline 8-3 Victory - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 26 - Louisville Bats
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Sunday, August 26, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (69-62) vs. Louisville Bats (57-71) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Pawtucket (1:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Pigs Capture First-Ever North Division Title - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.