Drive Fall to Charleston to End Road Trip
CHARLESTON, S.C. - The Greenville Drive (5-8) fell to the Charleston Riverdogs (7-7), 7-1, on Wednesday afternoon at Joseph P. Riley Jr. Ballpark to end its seven-game road trip. With the win, the Riverdogs took the opening series of the Battle of the Palmetto State Rivalry Series, presented by Spinx.
Charleston got a pair of runs in the second and two more in the fourth to build an early lead. A pair of solo home runs by Nelson Gomez and Mickey Gasper in the second made it 2-0. A sac fly by Junior Soto and an RBI single by Eduardo Torrealba gave the Riverdogs a 4-0 after four innings.
Greenville's lone run came in the fifth. Tuesday's hero Grant Williams led off the inning with a single and three batters later Tyler Esplin doubled to center to score Williams and make it 4-1.
Charleston added two runs in the fifth and tacked on one more in the eighth. A bases-loaded single by Max Burt brought across two to push the advantage to 6-1. Josh Stowers drove in the final run of the game with an RBI single to left in the eighth.
Jio Orozco (1-1) earned his first win of the season for Charleston, allowing just one run on five hits in 6.0 innings pitched with four walks against three strikeouts. Yasel Santana (0-1) allowed six runs on six hits and three walks with four strikeouts in 4.0 innings pitched in his third start of the season for the Drive. Carlos Espinal earned his first save of the year, working 3.0 scoreless innings in relief with seven strikeouts.
Five different Drive hitters each recorded one hit apiece in the loss. Alex Demchek and Yoan Aybar each recorded 1.0 inning of scoreless relief work out of the pen.
Greenville returns home on Thursday, hosting Rome in game one of a three-game series, with first pitch set for 7:05 PM. RHP Chris Machamer (0-0, 4.00 ERA) faces off with Rome's Trey Riley (0-2, 7.27 ERA) at Fluor Field.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 17, 2019
- 'Birds Win Ninth Straight on Fregia Walkoff - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Rasquin, Mauricio Lead Fireflies to Victory and Series Win - Columbia Fireflies
- Bats Struggle in Back-To-Back - Hagerstown Suns
- Pair of Homers Powers West Virginia to Series Sweep - West Virginia Power
- Dogs Clinch Series Behind Strong Orozco Start - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Fall to Charleston to End Road Trip - Greenville Drive
- 5th Inning Miscue Costs GreenJackets - Augusta GreenJackets
- Power Best BlueClaws 7-1; Complete Sweep - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Lavigne and MacIver Go Deep in Close Loss - Asheville Tourists
- 'Dads Hit Two Homers in 6-4 Victory over Asheville - Hickory Crawdads
- Fireflies Game Notes: April 17 at Rome (Game 13) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (April 17) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.