Dozier's Triple-Double Lifts Maine Past Long Island
Uniondale, NY -The Maine Red Claws, presented by Unum, got a triple-double from Boston Celtics Two-Way Player P.J. Dozier, leading Maine to a 110-101 win over Long Island Sunday.
Dozier finished with 25 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists, the 14th triple-double in franchise history. Sheldon Jeter led the bench with 22 points, 19 of those coming in the first half. Justin Bibbs added 17 points, John Bohannon recorded a double-double with 12 points and 14 rebounds, and Vitto Brown scored 10 in the win for Maine (5-11).
Long Island (11-5) was led by Jordan McLaughlin with 29 points, Theo Pinson with 23, and Alan Williams with a monster 19 point-27 rebound performance.
Dozier started the scoring for Maine with a floating 15-footer. Andrew White knocked in a corner three to put Maine up 7-6. Dallas Laduerdale's alley-oop turned into a three-point play for the Claws, and Dozier continued his hot start. Jeff Roberson knocked in a three to put Maine up 4, and Sheldon Jeter's three extended it to 22-15. Dozier rattled in a 3 to put Maine up 10, but at the end of the 1st, the score was 33-26 Red Claws, with Dozier scoring 11 points in the 1st.
Vitto Brown rattled in a three to open the scoring in the 2nd. Jeter and Dozier drained back to back three's to make it 51-41. Jeter was on absolute fire in the first half, scoring 19 points on 6-8 shooting, including 5-6 from downtown. Maine shot 13-27 from three-point range in the first half, and Dozier scored 14 in the half, helping Maine to a 65-53 halftime lead. Long Island shot just 33% (18-55) from the field in the first half, and 7-20 from beyond the arc.
In the 3rd, Long Island opened the half on a 7-0 run. John Bohannon silenced that with a lay-up, and Dozier's contested bank shot put Maine back up 7. Brooklyn assignee Dzanan Musa buried a long three to cut the Red Claws lead to 2, and Alan Williams' bank shot gave Long Island a 72-71 lead. Jeter made another three to put Claw up 6, and Justin Bibbs' turnaround made helped carry Maine on a 14-2 run. The Red Claws led 87-78 after 3.
In the 4th, King buried a three, and Bohannon's driving lay-up made it 96-81. Dozier wrapped up his triple-double with a pair of great assists and a key defensive rebound. Jordan McLaughlin's three cut it to 98-91, and another three got it to 6. With the shot clock winding down, Bibbs hit a devastating deep three. Dozier's bucket helped seal the deal.
The Red Claws are next off to the NBA G League Winter Showcase in Las Vegas, Nevada, where they will play two regular season games. Maine returns home on Dec. 31 for the annual New Year's Eve matinee at the Expo. Tickets are on sale by calling 207-210-6655 or visiting MaineRedClaws.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 16, 2018
- NAZ Suns Suffer Big Defeat at Hands of Memphis Hustle - Northern Arizona Suns
- Hustle & Hannahs Heat up in the Desert, Rout Suns 119-79 - Memphis Hustle
- Brandon Goodwin Signs Two-Way Contract with Denver Nuggets - Memphis Hustle
- Long Island Three-Game Win Streak Snapped, Dropping Second Home Game of the Season - Long Island Nets
- Dozier's Triple-Double Lifts Maine Past Long Island - Maine Red Claws
- Erie BayHawks Complete Trade with Canton Charge - Erie BayHawks
- Agua Caliente Clippers Acquire J.J. Avila - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Legends Acquire Ryan Boatright - Texas Legends
- Santa Cruz Warriors Outlast Erie BayHawks 101-100 Behind Marcus Derrickson's Big Night - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Oklahoma City Struggle Versus Fort Wayne - Oklahoma City Blue
- Legends Go Back-To-Back in Sellouts and Wins - Texas Legends
- Stars Drop Game to Kings - Salt Lake City Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.