Dozen Does It Again for Shuckers in 12-3 Victory
MOBILE, AL - For the second consecutive night, the Biloxi Shuckers (59-39, 18-10 2nd Half) scored 12 runs as they topped the Mobile BayBears (40-56, 13-15) 12-3 on Saturday night at Hank Aaron Stadium. With the victory, the Shuckers have now won eight straight games, tied for the longest winning streak in franchise history.
The Shuckers fell behind in the first thanks to an RBI single by Jack Kruger. RHP Dylan File (W, 5-1) locked down the BayBears bats after the single, retiring the next 11 batters in order and 14 of the next 15. All told, File tossed seven innings and allowed three runs, his fourth quality start in seven appearances at the Double-A.
In the top of the third, Biloxi hung a crooked number to go in front. Max McDowell was hit by a pitch with one out and Joantgel Segovia followed with a single, putting two men on base. Bruce Caldwell then stepped to the dish and launched a three-run blast to right field, his sixth of the year, to put the Shuckers in front 3-1. RHP Luis Madero (L, 4-8) walked Patrick Leonard before Dillon Thomas hit a frozen-rope homer out to left, his third in as many days and eighth of the season, to cushion the Shuckers advantage at 5-1.
Biloxi continued their offensive output in the fourth when center fielder Clayton Andrews tripled down the right-field line and scored on an RBI single by Segovia. Another crooked number came in the sixth when Weston Wilson doubled and came around to score on a McDowell sacrifice fly. Segovia reached with his third hit of the night, an infield single, before Caldwell pulled a single into right to drive in his fourth run of the night, and Leonard capped the frame with an opposite-field single, propelling the Shuckers to a 9-1 lead.
Segovia finished the scoring for the Shuckers in the seventh, slicing a two-out double over the head of Jo Adell in right to empty the bases and put Biloxi in front 12-2. The left fielder finished the night 4-for-5 with a double, four RBI's and two runs scored. RHP Tyler Spurlin came on and pitched the final two frames for the Shuckers, allowing just one baserunner on a walk.
In their last ever regular-season game at Hank Aaron Stadium, the Biloxi Shuckers will send RHP Bowden Francis (5-6, 3.96) to the mound opposite BayBears RHP Jeremy Beasley (5-5, 3.36) for a 1:05 pm first pitch on Sunday afternoon. The game can be heard locally in Biloxi on Cruisin' WGCM AM 1240/100.9 FM, TuneIn Radio or the MiLB First Pitch App and can be seen on MiLB.TV. Fans can save $10 off their subscription when they use the promo code 'Shuckers' at checkout.
Half-Season Shuck Nation Memberships, Flex Plans and Group Outings for the 2019 Biloxi Shuckers season are on sale now and are available for purchase by calling 228-233-3465, online at biloxishuckers.com or by visiting the MGM Park front office. The Biloxi Shuckers will host Game 1 and Game 2 of the South Division Championship Series on September 4 & 5 at MGM Park. Tickets for all six potential playoff games at MGM Park are on sale now.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 20, 2019
- Rockin' Cribbs: Generals Prevails with Six-Run, Ninth-Inning Rally in 9-6 Win - Jackson Generals
- Dozen Does It Again for Shuckers in 12-3 Victory - Biloxi Shuckers
- Generals Rally in Ninth, Stun Biscuits, 9-6 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Sheets, Madrigal Send Barons Past Smokies - Birmingham Barons
- Lookouts Get Cooked, Fall to the Shrimp 4-3 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Smokies Fall to Barons 3-1 in Birmingham - Tennessee Smokies
- Shrimp Power Past Lookouts 4-3 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Blue Wahoos Rained Out - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- M-Braves and Blue Wahoos Washed out on Saturday - Mississippi Braves
- Generals Gameday: July 20 at Montgomery - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, July 20 at Chattanooga - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Clock Nears Midnight as Shuckers Top BayBears on Friday - Biloxi Shuckers
- Anderson, Mississippi Keep Blue Wahoos Skidding - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.