Rockin' Cribbs: Generals Prevails with Six-Run, Ninth-Inning Rally in 9-6 Win
Montgomery, Ala. - The Jackson Generals, the Double-A affiliate of Major League Baseball's Arizona Diamondbacks, exploded for six runs in the ninth inning of Saturday night's game at Montgomery, pulling off a miraculous 9-6 victory at Riverwalk Stadium. Jackson (55-41) took a 2-1 lead in the series with the victory, their seventh last-at-bat win of the season and second last-at-bat win against Montgomery (62-37).
Through the game's first seven innings the Generals managed only two runs, scoring twice in the second inning with an RBI single from Mark Karaviotis and a bases-loaded walk from Galli Cribbs Jr. After that, Montgomery's Kenny Rosenberg did not allow another run, nor did reliever Bryan Shaffer in one inning of work. Montgomery's Tyler Zombro conceded a sacrifice fly to Pavin Smith in the eighth inning that brought the margin within 5-3, but the odds remained long as play entered the ninth.
Facing right-hander Ian Gardeck (0-1, 15.43 ERA), the Generals opened the ninth inning with a single and a walk, putting two men aboard with Cribbs at the plate. All Cribbs did was crack his first home run of the year, exporting a two-strike pitch over the fence in right center to send the Generals in front at 6-5. Cribbs' round-tripper was his first since May 16, 2018 against Mississippi, and it marked the second time in two series at Montgomery that the Generals have used a top-of-the-ninth homer to take the lead, following Daulton Varsho's go-ahead blast back on May 25. Jackson wasn't done, though, as nine more men came to the plate and helped the Generals add on a pair of runs to their total. When the dust settled, Jackson held a 9-5 lead with Michael Kohn (2-0, 2.66 ERA) in line for the win. West Tunnell completed the ninth despite allowing a run on a two-out triple that brought Montgomery back within 9-6.
In relief appearances, Kohn, Matt Brill, and Damien Magnifico each kept Montgomery scoreless. Varsho, Jamie Westbrook, Renae Martinez, and Galli Cribbs Jr. all chipped in with multi-hit games. Pavin Smith saw his nine-game hitting streak snapped on an 0-for-3 night, but he scored two runs and also drove in two others.
NEXT GENERALS GAME:
5:05 pm CT Sunday (7/21) at Montgomery Biscuits
Riverwalk Stadium - Montgomery, Ala.
RHP Cole Stapler (2-0, 5.82 ERA) vs. Opener & RHP Jason Garcia (2-0, 2.45 ERA)
BROADCAST: Montgomery Biscuits Baseball Network
UP AND COMING AT
Generals vs. Mississippi Braves (AA, Atlanta Braves)
Belly Buster Monday (July 22) and Thursday Dollar Night (July 25)!
For tickets and more information about the Generals, dial 731.988.5299 or log on to JacksonGeneralsBaseball.com!
Images from this story
Jackson Generals utility man Galli Cribbs Jr.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 20, 2019
- Rockin' Cribbs: Generals Prevails with Six-Run, Ninth-Inning Rally in 9-6 Win - Jackson Generals
- Dozen Does It Again for Shuckers in 12-3 Victory - Biloxi Shuckers
- Generals Rally in Ninth, Stun Biscuits, 9-6 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Sheets, Madrigal Send Barons Past Smokies - Birmingham Barons
- Lookouts Get Cooked, Fall to the Shrimp 4-3 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Smokies Fall to Barons 3-1 in Birmingham - Tennessee Smokies
- Shrimp Power Past Lookouts 4-3 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Blue Wahoos Rained Out - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- M-Braves and Blue Wahoos Washed out on Saturday - Mississippi Braves
- Generals Gameday: July 20 at Montgomery - Jackson Generals
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, July 20 at Chattanooga - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Clock Nears Midnight as Shuckers Top BayBears on Friday - Biloxi Shuckers
- Anderson, Mississippi Keep Blue Wahoos Skidding - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.