Down East Claims One-Run Win and the Series over Winston-Salem
KINSTON, NC - The Woodies used a four-run third inning to take hold of the lead and never let go in the 5-4 victory over the Dash on Tuesday night. Leody Taveras had two doubles - including a go-ahead shot off the wall in right to give the Wood Ducks the lead in the third.
Emerson Martinez worked into the sixth inning for his second win of the season as he struck out six and only walked one. Down East trailed 2-0 after two innings before the bats woke up in the third.
Blaine Prescott led off with a double and advanced to third on LeDarious Clark's single. Anderson Tejeda walked to load the bases for Taveras with no outs. The first pitch of the at-bat was a wild pitch from Winston-Salem starter Bernardo Flores, allowing Prescott to score. Taveras took the next pitch the other way for the go-ahead double.
The DEWDs weren't done in the inning, as Preston Scott added an RBI single three batters later to mark the score at 4-2.
The Dash hit a solo homer in the sixth and seventh innings, but never relinquished the lead thanks to a Blaine Prescott sac fly as the score was 5-4 heading to the eighth.
In that frame, Winston-Salem managed runners on the corners with two outs and C.D. Pelham entered for his first save opportunity of the year. He retired former teammate Ti'Quan Forbes with a fly out, then returned for the ninth. He worked a 1-2-3 frame with two strikeouts to lock down the win for the Woodies.
With the win, the Wood Ducks claim their first series win of the season and now go for the sweep tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. Edgar Arredondo will make his second home start against Dylan Cease for the Dash.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from April 17, 2018
- Lynchburg Arms Lead Hillcats to Series Victory - Frederick Keys
- Basabe, Mercedes Hit Solo Homers in Tuesday's Loss - Winston-Salem Dash
- Bullpen Falters as P-Nats Fall 7-4 - Potomac Nationals
- Sox Surge Past P-Nats 7-4 Tuesday - Salem Red Sox
- Aguilar and Belonis Combine on Four RBI in 7-4 Road Win - Carolina Mudcats
- Hentges Strikes out Ten in 4-1 Victory over Frederick - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Down East Claims One-Run Win and the Series over Winston-Salem - Down East Wood Ducks
- Rocks Rally Falls Short in Loss - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Thompson Strong, But Birds Falter Late in 6-2 Loss - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Say No to Drugs Day at City Stadium April 18 - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (April 17 at Down East) - Winston-Salem Dash
- April 17 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Garza Named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, April 17 at Buies Creek - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Second Homestand Includes Mystery Night, Star Wars and the Candy Drop - Frederick Keys
- Adolfo Earns CL Player of the Week Honors - Winston-Salem Dash
- Kieboom's Slam Highlights Potomac's 9-4 Victory - Potomac Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.