Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (April 17 at Down East)
The Dash continue their three-game road series on Tuesday against the Down East Wood Ducks at Grainger Stadium. First pitch is set for 7 p.m..
WINSTON-SALEM DASH (7-5) at Down East Wood Ducks (6-6)
LHP Bernardo Flores (1-0, 3.00 ERA) vs. RHP Emerson Martinez (1-1, 0.90 ERA)
7 p.m. - Grainger Stadium (Kinston, N.C.)
Game #13 (Road Game #9)
WOOD DUCKS RACE TO 5-1 VICTORY
Dash outfielder Alex Call hit his first High-A homer on Monday night, but the Down East Wood Ducks led the entire game en route to a 5-1 victory over Winston-Salem in the series opener at Grainger Stadium. Call, who was a third-round pick by the White Sox in 2016, blasted a solo shot in the third against Woodies starter Christian Torres, who was otherwise brilliant through six innings of work. Anderson Tejeda provided the big blow for the Wood Ducks, a two-run homer to center against Dash starter Dane Dunning in the first. The Wood Ducks would add a run in the third, sixth and seventh inning to pull away for good.
A BANANA PEEL SLIP
After not being outhit by an opponent through the first 10 games, the Dash have been outhit by the Mudcats and Wood Ducks over the last two games. Still, Winston-Salem is still atop the Carolina League in several offensive categories, including hits (114), doubles (30), batting average (.284) and on-base percentage (.366).
A STAR IN THE MAKING
It was announced by the Carolina League office on Monday that Dash outfielder Micker Adolfo was named the league's Player of the Week from April 5-15. In 11 games to begin the campaign, the Dominican Republic native hit .395 (17-for-43), the most in the league through that stretch. Adolfo was also second in the league in batting average (.395), tied for second in doubles (five) and RBIs (10), and third in the league in slugging percentage (.651). Adolfo had an eight-game hitting streak entering Monday's action, but he went for 0-for-3 in Winston-Salem's loss.
1ST PLACE IN OUR BOOK
Along with Adolfo, several other outfield prospects have gotten off to a fast start for the Dash this season:
OF Luis Basabe: .370 AVG (3rd-best mark in the CL), 17 hits (2nd-best) and .609 SLG (tied for 2nd-best)
OF Joel Booker: .353 AVG (7th-best mark in the CL), nine runs scored (tops on the Dash) and two HRs
OF Blake Rutherford: .333 AVG (11-for-33), three doubles and three runs scored
The Dash continue their three-game series on Tuesday against the Down East Wood Ducks at Grainger Stadium. Winston-Salem will square against the Woodies 26 times this year, which is the most against any opponent this season. The Dash were 11-9 against the Wood Ducks last year, the only winning record the team had against an opponent in 2017.
BUMPY AS THE KALIMARI DESERT
While the Dash and the Wood Ducks are among the better offensive teams in the Carolina League, both have struggled defensively. Winston-Salem has committed a league-worst 19 errors so far this season, while the Wood Ducks' .956 fielding percentage is last among the 10-team circuit. Last night, the Dash committed a season-worst four errors.
A RELIABLE CHARACTER
Tuesday's starter Bernardo Flores has registered a quality start in each of his first two outings. After allowing just two earned runs over six innings against Carolina on April 6, the left-hander logged another six-inning, two-earned run effort in the Dash's home opener last Thursday against the Mudcats. Following a 14-game stint last year with Low-A Kannapolis, where he went 8-4 with a 3.00 ERA in 14 starts, Flores was bumped up to the High-A level on June 16. Flores went 2-3 with a 4.23 ERA with Winston in 2017, but he has pitched well in High-A as of late. Over his last five outings, Flores has registered a 3-0 record with a 2.41 ERA.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from April 17, 2018
- Lynchburg Arms Lead Hillcats to Series Victory - Frederick Keys
- Basabe, Mercedes Hit Solo Homers in Tuesday's Loss - Winston-Salem Dash
- Bullpen Falters as P-Nats Fall 7-4 - Potomac Nationals
- Sox Surge Past P-Nats 7-4 Tuesday - Salem Red Sox
- Aguilar and Belonis Combine on Four RBI in 7-4 Road Win - Carolina Mudcats
- Hentges Strikes out Ten in 4-1 Victory over Frederick - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Down East Claims One-Run Win and the Series over Winston-Salem - Down East Wood Ducks
- Rocks Rally Falls Short in Loss - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Thompson Strong, But Birds Falter Late in 6-2 Loss - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Say No to Drugs Day at City Stadium April 18 - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (April 17 at Down East) - Winston-Salem Dash
- April 17 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Garza Named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, April 17 at Buies Creek - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Second Homestand Includes Mystery Night, Star Wars and the Candy Drop - Frederick Keys
- Adolfo Earns CL Player of the Week Honors - Winston-Salem Dash
- Kieboom's Slam Highlights Potomac's 9-4 Victory - Potomac Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.