Garza Named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week
Lynchburg, Va. - Lynchburg Hillcats pitcher Justin Garza has been named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week, the league announced on Monday evening.
Garza was selected as the league's top pitcher for April 5-15. The selection marks the first weekly award pick for a Hillcats player this season and the first of Garza's career.
The Ontario, Calif. native has made two starts this season and has not allowed a run. Garza picked up the win in his first start against Down East when he pitched five scoreless innings and struck out seven. He received the no-decision in his most recent start against Wilmington when he also pitched five scoreless innings and struck out five.
The former Cal State Fullerton standout has logged 10 innings, while surrendering just four hits. Garza has walked only two hitters and has recorded 12 strikeouts, with Carolina League opponents hitting a mere .125 against him.
Selected in the 8th round by the Cleveland Indians in the 2015 MLB Draft, Garza is one of just five Carolina League starting pitchers that has not yet allowed a run. The right-hander leads the league in WHIP (0.60) and ranks fourth in fewest baserunners/9 IP ratio (6.30).
The 24-year-old is is in his first season at A-Adv. He played for Single-A Lake County in 2017, and went 4-6 with a 5.83 ERA in his first fully healthy season since undergoing Tommy John surgery in 2015.
The Hillcats are home for the next two days as they battle the Frederick Keys, A-Adv. affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles, in games two and three of the series. Tonight is 2-Fur-Tuesday, featuring buy one-get one free tickets and $2 concession deals. Wednesday is Say No to Drugs Day, as well as Winning Wednesday, where every fan will win a free ticket to the next Wednesday Hillcats home game.
For tickets or more information, visit lynchburg-hillcats.com, call 434-528-1144, or visit the City Stadium box office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from April 17, 2018
- Lynchburg Arms Lead Hillcats to Series Victory - Frederick Keys
- Basabe, Mercedes Hit Solo Homers in Tuesday's Loss - Winston-Salem Dash
- Bullpen Falters as P-Nats Fall 7-4 - Potomac Nationals
- Sox Surge Past P-Nats 7-4 Tuesday - Salem Red Sox
- Aguilar and Belonis Combine on Four RBI in 7-4 Road Win - Carolina Mudcats
- Hentges Strikes out Ten in 4-1 Victory over Frederick - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Down East Claims One-Run Win and the Series over Winston-Salem - Down East Wood Ducks
- Rocks Rally Falls Short in Loss - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Thompson Strong, But Birds Falter Late in 6-2 Loss - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Say No to Drugs Day at City Stadium April 18 - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (April 17 at Down East) - Winston-Salem Dash
- April 17 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Garza Named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, April 17 at Buies Creek - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Second Homestand Includes Mystery Night, Star Wars and the Candy Drop - Frederick Keys
- Adolfo Earns CL Player of the Week Honors - Winston-Salem Dash
- Kieboom's Slam Highlights Potomac's 9-4 Victory - Potomac Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lynchburg Hillcats Stories
- New Coaching Staff to Guide Hillcats in 2019
- Hentges, Mejia, Added to Tribe's 40-Man Roster
- Elmore Sports Group Named 2018 Organization of the Year by Ballpark Digest
- Hillcats Announce Game Schedule for 2019 Season
- Sheffield Makes MLB Debut, Becomes 173rd Hillcat to Make Majors