Thompson Strong, But Birds Falter Late in 6-2 Loss
LILLINGTON, N.C. (April 16, 2018) - Pelicans starter Keegan Thompson fired five shutout innings Tuesday, but the Myrtle Beach Pelicans could not fend off a late Buies Creek Astros rally to fall 6-2 at Jim Perry Stadium.
Thompson ceded just three hits in his five innings of work. He did not walk a batter and struck out four for Myrtle Beach (3-10). The right-hander departed with a slim lead, but it would not hold.
The Pelicans held a 1-0 advantage going to the sixth when Myrtle Beach reliever Ryan Kellogg (0-1) walked Ronnie Dawson with two outs. A Josh Rojas single put runners on the corners before Kellogg hit Abraham Toro with a pitch to load the bases. A wild pitch brought home Dawson to tie the game and then Troy Sieber notched a two-run single to make it 3-1.
In the seventh, Chas McCormick earned to begin the frame and was replaced by Kristian Trompiz at first following a fielder's choice. Trompiz stole second before Kellogg walked Carlos Canelon. Anibal Sierra then loaded the bases with a single. A wild pitch by reliever Elvis Diaz scored Trompiz to widen the margin to 4-1.
Toro jumpstarted the eighth for the Astros with a double. With two outs in the frame, McCormick doubled him in before coming around to score on a Trompiz RBI single.
Buies Creek reliever Ronel Blanco (1-0) pitched 3.1 scoreless innings of relief, whiffing four against one walk. After he departed before the ninth, Wladimir Galindo greeted new pitcher Kit Scheetz with a leadoff double. Scheetz uncorked a wild pitch that moved Galindo to third before walking Tyler Alamo. Kevonte Mitchell, who had a double and walk, lined a sacrifice fly to right to score Galindo, but the Pelicans could get no closer in the defeat.
Myrtle Beach hopped on the scoreboard in the fifth inning. Mitchell and Austin Upshaw each walked against Astros starter Hector Perez to start the frame. A pair of wild pitches would plate Mitchell in the inning for the game's first run.
The Birds hope to avoid a sweep with Wednesday's 7 p.m. contest. LHP Jose Paulino (0-1, 11.57 ERA) goes for Myrtle Beach against Astros RHP Brandon Bielak (1-1, 2.16 ERA). Coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Broadcast, the MiLB First Pitch app and TuneIn.
The 2018 season is the 20th season for the Pelicans franchise and fourth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from April 17, 2018
- Lynchburg Arms Lead Hillcats to Series Victory - Frederick Keys
- Basabe, Mercedes Hit Solo Homers in Tuesday's Loss - Winston-Salem Dash
- Bullpen Falters as P-Nats Fall 7-4 - Potomac Nationals
- Sox Surge Past P-Nats 7-4 Tuesday - Salem Red Sox
- Aguilar and Belonis Combine on Four RBI in 7-4 Road Win - Carolina Mudcats
- Hentges Strikes out Ten in 4-1 Victory over Frederick - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Down East Claims One-Run Win and the Series over Winston-Salem - Down East Wood Ducks
- Rocks Rally Falls Short in Loss - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Thompson Strong, But Birds Falter Late in 6-2 Loss - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Say No to Drugs Day at City Stadium April 18 - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (April 17 at Down East) - Winston-Salem Dash
- April 17 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Garza Named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, April 17 at Buies Creek - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Second Homestand Includes Mystery Night, Star Wars and the Candy Drop - Frederick Keys
- Adolfo Earns CL Player of the Week Honors - Winston-Salem Dash
- Kieboom's Slam Highlights Potomac's 9-4 Victory - Potomac Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Myrtle Beach Pelicans Stories
- Pelicans Announce Ticket Fundraiser for Local Flood Victims
- Pelicans Unveil Summer Month-Loaded 2019 Schedule
- Minor League Teams Across Carolinas Unite for Storm Relief
- Pelicans Host Ballpark Trick-Or-Treat Thirsty Thursday Style
- Pelicans Promote Call to Assistant General Manager