Basabe, Mercedes Hit Solo Homers in Tuesday's Loss
KINSTON, N.C. - Despite solo home runs from Luis Basabe and Yermin Mercedes, the Dash could not overcome the Wood Ducks' four-run third inning as Down East defeated Winston-Salem 5-4 on Tuesday night at Grainger Stadium.
Down 4-2 in the sixth, Mercedes crushed a mammoth blast to left field against Down East starter Emerson Martinez (2-1), who picked up the win by going 5.2 innings and allowing three runs. The Dash (7-6) backstop has now homered in two of his last three games.
The Wood Ducks (7-6) added an insurance run in the bottom of the sixth on a Blaine Prescott sacrifice fly, but Basabe answered right back in the seventh with a solo shot to right-center against Kaleb Fontenot to cut the deficit back to one. Basabe, who is rated by MLB Pipeline as the 13th-best prospect in the White Sox system, is now 16-for-40 with two homers and 10 RBIs through his last nine games.
However, that would be all the offense for Winston-Salem for the rest of the night. Locke St. John threw a scoreless inning of relief, and C.D. Pelham locked down the save with 1.1 perfect frames. With the loss, the Dash have now dropped three straight for the first time this season.
Winston-Salem's night started off well, as the club plated a run in each of the first two innings. Blake Rutherford stroked an RBI double to left in the first, and Zach Remillard grounded an RBI triple down the right-field line in the second to put the Dash ahead 2-0.
Dash starter Bernardo Flores (1-1) spun two scoreless innings to begin his outing, but the Wood Ducks struck in the third against the left-hander. With the bases loaded and nobody out, Flores uncorked a wild pitch with Leody Taveras at the plate to bring home a run. Later in the at-bat, Taveras ripped a two-run double to right to give Down East a 3-2 edge. Three batters later, Preston Scott delivered an RBI single to cap the scoring in the deciding inning.
Winston-Salem now looks to avoid a sweep against the Wood Ducks in Wednesday's series finale at Grainger Stadium, which will commence at 11 a.m. Right-hander Dylan Cease (1-1, 1.69 ERA), who is rated the fifth-best prospect in the White Sox system per MLB Pipeline, takes the hill against Wood Ducks righty Edgar Arredondo (1-0, 4.76 ERA). Pregame coverage begins at 10:45 a.m., and fans can catch all of the action on wsdash.com/broadcast and the TuneIn Radio App.
Following the team's three-game series in Kinston, the Dash return home to BB&T Ballpark for a four-game series against the Salem Red Sox from April 19-22. The homestand opener will be a Lowes Foods Thirsty Thursday, with select beers available for $1 through the seventh inning. Other Thursday promotions include a Yoga(mmunity) and Pups in the Park outing.
The rest of the four-game set features a postgame fireworks show on Friday and a Lowes Foods Family Sunday. Meanwhile, kids can run the bases after each weekend game, presented by New Balance Winston-Salem. For tickets and more information, call the Dash at (336) 714-2287 or visit wsdash.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from April 17, 2018
- Lynchburg Arms Lead Hillcats to Series Victory - Frederick Keys
- Basabe, Mercedes Hit Solo Homers in Tuesday's Loss - Winston-Salem Dash
- Bullpen Falters as P-Nats Fall 7-4 - Potomac Nationals
- Sox Surge Past P-Nats 7-4 Tuesday - Salem Red Sox
- Aguilar and Belonis Combine on Four RBI in 7-4 Road Win - Carolina Mudcats
- Hentges Strikes out Ten in 4-1 Victory over Frederick - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Down East Claims One-Run Win and the Series over Winston-Salem - Down East Wood Ducks
- Rocks Rally Falls Short in Loss - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Thompson Strong, But Birds Falter Late in 6-2 Loss - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Say No to Drugs Day at City Stadium April 18 - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (April 17 at Down East) - Winston-Salem Dash
- April 17 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- Garza Named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, April 17 at Buies Creek - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Second Homestand Includes Mystery Night, Star Wars and the Candy Drop - Frederick Keys
- Adolfo Earns CL Player of the Week Honors - Winston-Salem Dash
- Kieboom's Slam Highlights Potomac's 9-4 Victory - Potomac Nationals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.