Diamond Jaxx Trump Lookouts, 5-2
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. - West Tennessee, once again, was led by stellar pitching, this time from Michael Pineda, in a 5-2 win over the Lookouts in Tuesday night action at AT&T Field.
The Lookouts jumped out to an early 1-0 in the second inning on an RBI triple from Jaime Pedroza, which was prefaced by a Tommy Giles single.
The Diamond Jaxx evened up the score in the third. Jose Yepez led off with a double and made his way to third on a single by Laury Bonilla. Brandon Haveman then successfully executed a sacrifice bunt, which was botched by second baseman Jaime Pedroza, but, nonetheless, plated Yepez.
West Tennessee's bats kept rolling in the fourth with two more runs. John Limonta started the rally with a ground-rule double. Kuo Hui Lo then singled to put runners on the corners. A subsequent walk to Dustin Ackley loaded the bases. Yepez then hit a ground ball to third baseman Corey Smith, who tossed it over to Pedroza to record the force out at second base, but a wild throw by Pedroza to first base prohibited the successful completion of the double play. With runners on the corners, Bonilla singled to bring home Lo, giving the Diamond Jaxx a 3-1 lead.
Carlos Peguero hit an RBI double in the seventh inning to put the score at 4-1. Another insurance run was added in the ninth on an Alex Liddle RBI double, which scored Peguero. The Lookouts would score one more run in the ninth to put the score at 5-2 on a Mike Rivera RBI double, which was preceded by a Pedroza walk.
On the mound, starting pitcher Michael Pineda (5-1) pitched a gem of a game for the Diamond Jaxx. Regularly dialing up heat in the high-90's, the righty went seven innings, yielding just one run on four hits and one walk. He struck out four in the win.
Tim Sexton dropped to 2-5 on the season for the Lookouts. In six innings of work, he surrendered three runs, five hits, and three walks, while striking out four.
The Chattanooga Lookouts and West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx will continue their five-game series at 11:15 A.M., tomorrow. Tickets for this game or any other Lookouts home game can be purchased at the Lookouts Box Office at AT&T Field, online at www.lookouts.com, or by calling (423) 267-4849.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from June 1, 2010
- Back-to-Back Triples in a Four-Fun 4th Inning Boosts Braves to Victory - Mississippi Braves
- Stars Beat Down BayBears, 11-2 - Huntsville Stars
- Stars' 10-Run Second Buries BayBears - Mobile BayBears
- Mudcats Edged by Jacksonville, 5-4 - Carolina Mudcats
- Jaxx Beat Lookouts, Win Fourth Straight - Jackson Generals
- Bibens-Dirkx Paces Smokies to 3-0 Win - Tennessee Smokies
- Diamond Jaxx Trump Lookouts, 5-2 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Stanton Hits 19th and 20th Home Runs, Suns Remain in Control of First Place - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Barons Announce Hall Of Fame Selections - Birmingham Barons
- Southern League Announce Players Of The Week May 17-23 - SL
- RHP Mark Rogers And Catcher Martin Maldonado Promoted To Nashville - Huntsville Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.