Stars Beat Down BayBears, 11-2
HUNTSVILLE, ALA. - The scoreboard at Joe Davis Stadium stopped working, again. This time though it was due to a different kind of lightning.
The Stars (25-27) rang up 10 runs in the bottom of the second inning; so many that they couldn't all fit on the scoreboard. The area under the "2" stayed out for the rest of the night but the Stars offense didn't.
The game didn't start out so hot, however. Stars starter Michael Bowman gave up a home run on his second pitch of the night to BayBears' (25-25) Collin Cowgill. Two batters later, Bowman got hit by a straight shot off the bat of Kory Casto. He was replaced by Donovan Hand who retired the side.
The Stars got their revenge in the bottom of the second. Zelous Wheeler drew a lead-off walk, followed by a single from Drew Anderson and a walk by Taylor Green to load the bases. Lee Haydel hit one a single up the middle to score Wheeler and Anderson. Sean McCraw followed up with a single of his own to bring home Green. Hand stepped to the plate and helped his own cause with a double to centerfield, scoring two more. Caleb Gindl added a single to add another run, making it 6-1.
With the BayBears putting a new pitcher in with still nobody out, Lorenzo Cain scored off a ground-out by Wheeler. With two on and two out, Green hit his second homerun in as many days. After 10 runs on seven hits, the Stars decided to call it an inning.
The two teams stayed pretty quiet until the sixth inning when Gindl hit a homerun of his own, making it a solo shot. Mobile answered that with another solo homerun of their own in the top of the next inning, making it 11-2 Stars.
Brandon Kintzler was lights-out again as he closed out the game in the top of the ninth. Kintzler allowed one hit and struck out two.
Hand (2-1) got credited with the win, going 5.2 innings, giving up five hits while walking one and striking out three. Eddie Morlan and Robert Hinton each pitched one inning of relief, giving up one hit. Morlan gave up the homerun in the seventh.
The Stars and BayBears face off again tomorrow for game three of the five-game series. Game time is scheduled for 7 p.m. For more information, visit www.huntsvillestars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from June 1, 2010
- Back-to-Back Triples in a Four-Fun 4th Inning Boosts Braves to Victory - Mississippi Braves
- Stars Beat Down BayBears, 11-2 - Huntsville Stars
- Stars' 10-Run Second Buries BayBears - Mobile BayBears
- Mudcats Edged by Jacksonville, 5-4 - Carolina Mudcats
- Jaxx Beat Lookouts, Win Fourth Straight - Jackson Generals
- Bibens-Dirkx Paces Smokies to 3-0 Win - Tennessee Smokies
- Diamond Jaxx Trump Lookouts, 5-2 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Stanton Hits 19th and 20th Home Runs, Suns Remain in Control of First Place - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Barons Announce Hall Of Fame Selections - Birmingham Barons
- Southern League Announce Players Of The Week May 17-23 - SL
- RHP Mark Rogers And Catcher Martin Maldonado Promoted To Nashville - Huntsville Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.