Jaxx Beat Lookouts, Win Fourth Straight
CHATTANOOGA, TENN. (June 1, 2010) - The Diamond Jaxx improve to 28-23 on the year with a 5-2 victory in game two of the five game series against the Chattanooga Lookouts. The Lookouts drop to 22-30 and are in last place in the Southern League North. With the win, the D-Jaxx are now 5-2 and the current road trip and 19-8 on the year away from Pringles Park. The Jaxx are now just 1 ½ games back of first place Tennessee and could be one game back depending on the Smokies late game on Tuesday night. The Jaxx have won four straight.
Michael Pineda earned his fifth victory of the season by working seven innings and allowing just one run on four hits. He struck out four which gives him now a team leading 63 strikeouts (2nd best in SL). Pineda has gone at least six innings in each of his last four starts. Tim Sexton took the loss for Chattanooga despite going six innings for the Lookouts.
Johan Limonta, Kuo Hui Lo and Leury Bonilla each had two-hit games and Jose Yepez extended his hitting streak to nine games with a hit on Tuesday night. The Jaxx pounded out four doubles out of their 10 hits.
Jaime Pedroza belted his second triple of the season in the bottom of the second inning scoring Tommy Giles from first with nobody out to get the Lookouts on the board. Michael Pineda retired the next three straight and stranded Pedroza at third, but the Lookouts led 1-0 after the second.
The Jaxx tied the score at one in the top of the third. Brandon Haveman brought in Jose Yepez with a SAC bunt. The Jaxx took a 3-1 lead in the top of the fourth inning on RBI singles from Jose Yepez and Leury Bonilla.
Carlos Peguero helped extend the Diamond Jaxx lead to 4-1 in the top of the seventh inning with an RBI double scoring Brandon Haveman from first. Haveman singled to reach and has got a hit in his first four starts for West Tenn.
Alex Liddi picked up his 11th double of the season with two outs in the ninth inning, scoring Carlos Peguero to push the lead to 5-1. The run scored by Peguero was his 42nd of the year which is second best in the Southern League. The Lookouts added their second and final run of the game in the bottom of the ninth inning on an RBI double by Mike Rivera.
It's breakfast with the Diamond Jaxx on Wednesday with a 10:15 CDT start in Chattanooga at AT&T Field. RHP Steven Hensley (5-2, 1.53) has the league's best ERA and will start for the Jaxx on Wednesday. The Lookouts will send to the mound RHP Chris Withrow (1-2, 5.94).
The Diamond Jaxx will return to Pringles Park on Saturday, June 5th to begin a five game series against the Mississippi Braves. Dale Murphy will be making an appearance at Pringles Park on June 5th as well as a post game fireworks extravaganza. 4,000 tickets have already been sold for this game. Fans can buy tickets by going online to diamondjaxx.com or calling 731-988-5299.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from June 1, 2010
- Back-to-Back Triples in a Four-Fun 4th Inning Boosts Braves to Victory - Mississippi Braves
- Stars Beat Down BayBears, 11-2 - Huntsville Stars
- Stars' 10-Run Second Buries BayBears - Mobile BayBears
- Mudcats Edged by Jacksonville, 5-4 - Carolina Mudcats
- Jaxx Beat Lookouts, Win Fourth Straight - Jackson Generals
- Bibens-Dirkx Paces Smokies to 3-0 Win - Tennessee Smokies
- Diamond Jaxx Trump Lookouts, 5-2 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Stanton Hits 19th and 20th Home Runs, Suns Remain in Control of First Place - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Barons Announce Hall Of Fame Selections - Birmingham Barons
- Southern League Announce Players Of The Week May 17-23 - SL
- RHP Mark Rogers And Catcher Martin Maldonado Promoted To Nashville - Huntsville Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jackson Generals Stories
- MercyMe Set for June 3rd Concert at the Ballpark at Jackson
- USA Championship Wrestling to Hold Major Wrestling Event at the Ballpark at Jackson
- The Ohio Valley Conference Championship Is Returning to Jackson
- Generals to Host Local High Schools at the Ballpark at Jackson
- Generals to Donate the Ballpark at Jackson for Lane College Baseball