Back-to-Back Triples in a Four-Fun 4th Inning Boosts Braves to Victory
Pearl, MS - The Mississippi Braves once again find themselves at the .500 mark following a 5-2 victory over Montgomery. The M-Braves broke up a scoreless game in the 4th inning when they sent ten batters to the plate and score four times. The Biscuits would never recover and Erik Cordier earned his 4th win of the season. This game didn't start until 8:46 pm, following a 1 hour and 41 minute rain delay.
The two pitchers started well, each lining up three shutout innings to begin the game. That streak would end for Montgomery starter, David Newman in the 4th. The M-Braves started the inning on a single from Willie Cabrera, who was forced out at second following a fielders choice by Eric Duncan. Mississippi would then pound out six hits in a row against Newman. The first two were back-to-back triples from Mauro Gomez and Donell Linares. Four consecutive singles from Orlando Mercado, Michael Daniel, Alejandro Machado and Randy Gress did the rest of the damage and Mississippi led 4-0 after the 4th.
In the 6th, the Braves looked like they were at a dead end with two outs and nobody on base, but Biscuits miscues would score another run. Antoan Richardson reached on an infield single and the throw over went up the right field line to get him to second base on an error. Willie Cabrera then grounded to third base and a low throw got by Matt Fields to allow Cabrera to reach and Richardson to score the run, making the count 5-0 in favor of Mississippi.
The two Biscuit runs came across in the 7th inning against reliever Brandon Beachy. Doubles from Chris de la Cruz and Nevin Ashley sandwiched a single from Drew Anderson and two runs were scored. The Mississippi bullpen kept the Biscuits off the board the rest of the game, with Juan Abreu earning the save. The M-Braves are now (16-0) when leading after seven innings and this win evens the series at one game a piece.
Tomorrow will be game three of a five game series. Mississippi will pitch LHP Richard Sullivan (1-4; 6.65) against Montgomery's RHP Jeremy Hall (2-2; 2.94). First pitch is at 7:05.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from June 1, 2010
- Back-to-Back Triples in a Four-Fun 4th Inning Boosts Braves to Victory - Mississippi Braves
- Stars Beat Down BayBears, 11-2 - Huntsville Stars
- Stars' 10-Run Second Buries BayBears - Mobile BayBears
- Mudcats Edged by Jacksonville, 5-4 - Carolina Mudcats
- Jaxx Beat Lookouts, Win Fourth Straight - Jackson Generals
- Bibens-Dirkx Paces Smokies to 3-0 Win - Tennessee Smokies
- Diamond Jaxx Trump Lookouts, 5-2 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Stanton Hits 19th and 20th Home Runs, Suns Remain in Control of First Place - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Barons Announce Hall Of Fame Selections - Birmingham Barons
- Southern League Announce Players Of The Week May 17-23 - SL
- RHP Mark Rogers And Catcher Martin Maldonado Promoted To Nashville - Huntsville Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.