Stars' 10-Run Second Buries BayBears
HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - Bryan Shaw turned down the Huntsville Stars 1-2-3 in the bottom of the first but didn't get another out as he was chased in the second while Huntsville claimed 10 runs on their way to an 11-2 win over the BayBears at Joe W. Davis Stadium on Tuesday night.
Shaw (1-5) wasn't the only starter who didn't last long. Stars (25-27) starter Michael Bowman only recorded one out and had to leave after Kory Casto lined a ball off his right ankle. Bowman put his team in an early hole as he coughed up a lead-off home run to Collin Cowgill. It was the first lead-off tater for the BayBears (25-25) since April 13, 2009 when Chris Rahl smacked one in Huntsville.
In the second, the Stars would turn the merry-go-round on against Shaw with Zelous Wheeler walking to start the frame. Drew Anderson singled and Taylor Green walked to load the bases for Lee Haydel. Haydel singled to score Wheeler and Anderson, giving Huntsville their first lead.
They never trailed again as Sean McCraw singled home Green to make it 3-1. Relief pitcher Donovan Hand (2-1) smashed a two-run double to right-center to put the Stars up by four. Lorenzo Cain then walked while Caleb Gindl singled to put Huntsville ahead 6-1. After Mat Gamel singled, Shaw was lifted in favor of Bryan Henry.
Henry retired three of the next four batters, but Wheeler's groundout brought home a run while Green smashed a three-run homer to cap off the 10-run frame for the Stars. Henry lasted four innings while allowing just the one run. Nine of the 10 in the second were charged to Shaw, who lost his fourth straight start.
Each team would connect on solo home runs later in the contest to round out the scoring. Caleb Gindl blasted a homer off Roque Mercedes in the bottom of the sixth. Cyle Hankerd went deep for the BayBears off Eddie Morlan in the seventh. Hand ended up tossing 5.2 scoreless innings out of the bullpen for Huntsville.
Game three between the BayBears and Stars is at 7:00 on Wednesday night. The BayBears return to Hank Aaron Stadium on Saturday, June 5 to take on the Birmingham Barons at 7:05 p.m. It'll be a Kids-Eat-Free Saturday with children ages 12 and under receiving a free hot dog and Pepsi voucher along with their box seat purchase. For tickets, which start at $5 for kids and $7 for adults, call (251) 479-BEAR or log on to www.mobilebaybears.com. For more information on the Hank Aaron Childhood Home & Museum, please visit www.hankaaronstadium.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from June 1, 2010
- Back-to-Back Triples in a Four-Fun 4th Inning Boosts Braves to Victory - Mississippi Braves
- Stars Beat Down BayBears, 11-2 - Huntsville Stars
- Stars' 10-Run Second Buries BayBears - Mobile BayBears
- Mudcats Edged by Jacksonville, 5-4 - Carolina Mudcats
- Jaxx Beat Lookouts, Win Fourth Straight - Jackson Generals
- Bibens-Dirkx Paces Smokies to 3-0 Win - Tennessee Smokies
- Diamond Jaxx Trump Lookouts, 5-2 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Stanton Hits 19th and 20th Home Runs, Suns Remain in Control of First Place - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Barons Announce Hall Of Fame Selections - Birmingham Barons
- Southern League Announce Players Of The Week May 17-23 - SL
- RHP Mark Rogers And Catcher Martin Maldonado Promoted To Nashville - Huntsville Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.