DeVore's three home runs not enough in Grizzlies' loss to Express
Fresno, CA- Tommy Whiteman's solo home run in the top of the 12th inning proved to be the difference in the Round Rock Express' 10-9 win over the Fresno Grizzlies Sunday night at Grizzlies Stadium. Fresno RF Doug DeVore did manage to tie a franchise single game record by slugging three home runs in the contest.
With the Grizzlies trailing 9-7 entering the bottom of the eighth inning, SS Brian Dallimore singled with one out to set the stage for DeVore's third blast of the night, a two run homer over the left-center field fence to tie the game at nine and send it to extra innings.
Fresno reliever RHP Jeremy Accardo took the mound in the top of the ninth and did his part to keep a win within one swing by working three scoreless innings while striking out five.
Things changed in the top of the 12th with Whiteman's blast off of reliever RHP Brandon Villafuerte (6-3) and the Grizzlies went 1-2-3 in the bottom of the inning, leaving DeVore in the on deck circle when the final out was recorded.
DeVore had a monster night at the plate, going 4-4 with the three home runs and five RBI. Dallimore added four hits of his own and 2B Mickey Lopez finished with three hits in the loss. Giants' outfielder Alex Sanchez got his first hit and RBI for Fresno in what looks to be the last game of his rehab assignment before rejoining San Francisco.
The Grizzlies will begin a four-game series against the Albuquerque Isotopes tomorrow at 7:05 P.M. at Grizzlies Stadium. Monday Madness, presented by Wienerschnitzel, returns where fans can purchase two Field Level Reserved seats, two hot dogs and two sodas for just $14. 20-year-old Matt Cain (8-5) will take the mound for Fresno in game one against RHP Travis Smith (3-6) and the Isotopes.
For tickets or ticket information, contact the Grizzlies Ticket Office at 559-320-TIXS or visit the Grizzlies online at www.fresnogrizzlies.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 8, 2005
- Pickering's second homer decides see-saw battle - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Seven unanswered runs net Sounds 8-5 win - Nashville Sounds
- Royals win on walk off homer in tenth - Tucson Sidewinders
- Sele wins in RedHawk debut - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Zephyrs fall to Beavers 3-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Omaha Royals game notes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tip A 51 Luncheon coming - Las Vegas Aviators
- Stingers remain in first place, Dallas McPherson returns - Salt Lake Bees
- Oklahoma August 8 Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Pacific Coast League names players of the week - PCL
- Corey Hart Named PCL Batter-Of-The-Week - Nashville Sounds
- Whiteman homer wins it in 11 - Round Rock Express
- DeVore's three home runs not enough in Grizzlies' loss to Express - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Grizzlies Unveil 2020 Daily Specials
- Chukchansi Park Job Fair Set for Saturday, March 7th
- Chukchansi Park to Host the Official Selena Tejano Tribute Festival
- Fresno Grizzlies Release 2020 Promotional Schedule; Single-Game Tickets Go on Sale TODAY
- A League of Her Own