Oklahoma August 8 Notes
Aug. 8 - 7:05 p.m. - Oklahoma RedHawks (58-56) vs. Tacoma Rainiers (62-52)
SBC Bricktown Ballpark - Radio: SuperTalk 930 WKY, OklahomaRedHawks.com, SportsJuice.com
Headlines: RedHawks rained out last night; Sele starts tonight; Richard looks to keep streak
TODAY'S OPPONENT: The Tacoma Rainiers are the Triple-A affiliate of the Seattle Mariners. They have been a member of the Pacific Coast League since 1960. Last year, they were 79-63 and finished second in the PCL North.
TODAY'S GAME: The RedHawks begin a four-game series with Tacoma . The RedHawks are 10-19 in the first game of a series and 7-7 at home. They are 9-7 on Mondays.
STANDINGS: The RedHawks are in third place, 2.5 games behind Albuquerque and Round Rock.
LAST GAME: Due to unplayable field conditions, last night's game was postponed. Fans with tickets to Sunday's game can exchange them to a ticket to any RedHawks game for the remainer of the 2005 season.
VS. TACOMA: The RedHawks are 23-21 against Tacoma and 12-8 against them at SBC Bricktown Ballpark all time. Last year the two teams split their series in Oklahoma City. Jason Conti was 6-for-17 [.353] with two home runs and five RBIs against them last year. Both home runs came Aug. 7 in a 9-4 loss to the Rainiers .
PITCHING MATCHUP: Oklahoma's starting pitcher, Aaron Sele, makes his first start of the year for the RedHawks. Sele was released by Seattle Aug. 1 and signed by Texas Aug. 6. He lost his last seven starts for Seattle , a career-high. Rich Dorman starts for Tacoma . Dorman has not pitched since May 22 against Nashville . He made four rehab starts for the Arizona Summer League Mariners and was 0-0 with a 5.40 ERA [6ER, 10IP]. His last start for the ASL Mariners was against the ASL Rangers Aug. 3. He pitched four hitless innings with a walk and nine strikeouts.
STREAKERS: Outfielder Chris Richard is on a seven-game hitting streak dating back to July 29. He is 16-for-31 [.516] with two home runs and 10 RBIs, raising his batting average from .267 to .297. Richard has hits in 17 of his last 18 games. In his last 18 games, he is 29-for-69 [.420] with four home runs and 19 RBIs, raising his average from .251 to .297.
GOOD START: The RedHawks have had four straight quality starts for the first time since May 1-4 when John Wasdin had one at Round Rock and Ricardo Rodriguez, Jason Standridge and John Hudgins had quality starts against Albuquerque . The team has not had five straight quality starts since April 14-18. In the last three games, RedHawk starters are 4-0 with a 3.04 ERA [9 ER, 26.2IP].
PACIFIC CONFERENCE NORTHERN DIVISION: The RedHawks are 9-2 against Pacific Conference Northern Division opponents. The PC North teams [ Colorado Springs , Portland , Salt Lake and Tacoma ] each play four games in Oklahoma City this season and the RedHawks will make return trips in 2006. This season, the RedHawks are batting .344 [122-for-355] with a 3.22 ERA [34 ER, 95.0IP] while out-scoring PC North opponents 72-44.
ATTENDANCE: Through 54 home openings, the RedHawks have drawn 423,855 fans, an average of 7,849. Last year, they averaged 6,678 fans. In 1998, they averaged a franchise-record 7,221.
DOT-DOT-DOTS: The RedHawks have used 30 pitchers so far this season. They used 30 all of last season ... Jason Botts' seven triples this year ties the single-season RedHawks record set by Kelly Dransfeldt in 2002 ... Esteban German has 28 stolen bases this season, the second most in a season by a RedHawk. The RedHawk record is 32, set by Jeff Picker in 2003 ... Botts' 22 home runs ties him for the most career home runs by a switch hitter in RedHawk history with Jason Jones, who played in 2003 and 2004 ... Adrian Gonzalez is second in career RBIs by a left-handed hitter in RedHawk history. Gonzalez has 134 RBIs in a RedHawk uniform. Pedro Valdes had 150 in 1999 and 2000 ... Last night's rain out was the first at home since Aug. 31, 2003 .
Mon, Aug. 8 Tacoma RH Aaron Sele (NR, MLB: 6-12, 5.66) vs. RH Rich Dorman (3-3, 5.57) - or - TBA
Tue, Aug. 9 Tacoma RH Josh Rupe (3-6, 7.12) vs. LH Damian Moss (7-7, 4.15)
Wed, Aug. 10 Tacoma RH R.A. Dickey (5-5, 6.86) vs. RH Cha Seung Baek (7-7, 6.38)
Thu, Aug. 11 Tacoma LH Derek Lee (3-1, 3.93) vs. LH Bobby Livingston (2-1, 4.56)
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 8, 2005
- Pickering's second homer decides see-saw battle - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Seven unanswered runs net Sounds 8-5 win - Nashville Sounds
- Royals win on walk off homer in tenth - Tucson Sidewinders
- Sele wins in RedHawk debut - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Zephyrs fall to Beavers 3-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Omaha Royals game notes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tip A 51 Luncheon coming - Las Vegas Aviators
- Stingers remain in first place, Dallas McPherson returns - Salt Lake Bees
- Oklahoma August 8 Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Pacific Coast League names players of the week - PCL
- Corey Hart Named PCL Batter-Of-The-Week - Nashville Sounds
- Whiteman homer wins it in 11 - Round Rock Express
- DeVore's three home runs not enough in Grizzlies' loss to Express - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Dodgers Stories
- Lifeshare Winterfest and Snow Tubing Canceled
- Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark Named Winner Of Ballpark Digest's Best Of The Ballparks Competition
- OKC Dodgers Announce Details Regarding the Cancellation of the 2020 Baseball Sesaon
- Registration Open for OKC Dodgers Rookie League Fall Season
- Statement from the Oklahoma City Dodgers