Corey Hart Named PCL Batter-Of-The-Week
Nashville Sounds All-Star outfielder Corey Hart - the #7 prospect of the Milwaukee Brewers - has been named the Pacific Coast League's Batter-of-the-Week for the August 1-7 period after showcasing his all-around skills in the batter's box during the stanza.
In six games last week, the 23-year-old hit safely in each contest, batting .455 (10-for-22), and produced a PCL-best 12 RBIs (tied with teammate Prince Fielder) while leading the Sounds with 25 total bases, six extra-base hits (three triples, three home runs), eight runs scored, and posting a 1.136 slugging mark.
His week included a two-homer, six-RBI contest on Saturday at Colorado Springs and a league-leading four stolen bases, which gave Hart a career-high 28 thefts on the season as well as a share of the PCL lead in that department. The six-RBI night was his best of 2005 and one shy of the Sounds' single-game mark.
Hart, who was Nashville's lone representative in July's Triple-A All-Star Game, currently holds a seven-game hitting streak (11-for-26, .423) and is batting a solid .366 (90-for-246) over his last 59 contests.
For the season, the Bowling Green, Ky. native is hitting .308 (125-for-406) with 16 home runs and 66 RBIs in a team-high 107 games. The 23-year-old also has a team-best 28 doubles and co-team-leading nine triples to his credit.
With one additional triple, Hart will become the first Nashville player to post a double-digit total in each of the extra-base hit categories since second baseman Ray Durham in 1994 (33 2B, 12 3B, 16 HR) during his American Association MVP campaign.
On the year, Hart leads the Nashville offense in doubles, triples, stolen bases, runs scored (77), hits (125), and total bases (219), ranking second to Fielder in home runs, RBIs, and walks (45).
His award is the second accumulated by a Sounds player during the 2005 season. Fielder was selected as the PCL Batter-of-the-Week for the May 23-29 period.
The Nashville Sounds begin the second leg of their longest road trip of the season this evening in Utah with the 8:00 p.m. CT opener of a four-game series against the Salt Lake Stingers (AAA-Angels), a matchup of two of the Pacific Coast League's four division leaders.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 8, 2005
- Pickering's second homer decides see-saw battle - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Seven unanswered runs net Sounds 8-5 win - Nashville Sounds
- Royals win on walk off homer in tenth - Tucson Sidewinders
- Sele wins in RedHawk debut - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Zephyrs fall to Beavers 3-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Omaha Royals game notes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tip A 51 Luncheon coming - Las Vegas Aviators
- Stingers remain in first place, Dallas McPherson returns - Salt Lake Bees
- Oklahoma August 8 Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Pacific Coast League names players of the week - PCL
- Corey Hart Named PCL Batter-Of-The-Week - Nashville Sounds
- Whiteman homer wins it in 11 - Round Rock Express
- DeVore's three home runs not enough in Grizzlies' loss to Express - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Sounds Introduce "Safe and Sounds at Home" Campaign
- March 17 and March 24 Vanderbilt Baseball Games Cancelled at First Horizon Park
- Nashville Sounds and First Horizon Park Business Operations Update
- Sounds Donate $100,000 to Music City Inc. to Help Aid Tornado Relief
- Nashville Sounds Announce Continued Tornado Recovery Efforts