Whiteman homer wins it in 11
(Fresno, CA) - Round Rock shortstop Tommy Whiteman established himself throughout Sunday night's game against Fresno as the defensive star of the game. In the top of the twelfth inning, Whiteman drilled a 425 foot shot over the left center field wall at Grizzlies Stadium to give the Express a 10-9 win and a win in the series three games to one.
The Express actually jumped out to a five to nothing lead in the first inning on a three-run Mike Coolbaugh homer and a two-run Raul Chavez double.
But in the second off starter Brian Tollberg, the Grizzlies came roaring back with two, two-run homers to make it 5-4 Express.
The Grizzlies put up a two spot and took a 6-5 lead in the fourth inning.
The Express tied it in the sixth inning, but the relentless Grizzlies got a solo homer from RF Doug DeVore, his second of three on the night, and the Fresno bunch took the lead once again at 7-6.
Not to be denied in a back and forth battle, the Express battled back to take the lead in the eighth inning on an RBI double from 1B Royce Huffman and a two-run, Luke Scott single and the Express led 9-7.
Then, in the bottom of the eighth inning, DeVore drilled his third homer, his second two-run shot that tied the score at nine and set the stage for extra innings.
Reliever Travis Driskill came on and pitched three outstanding shutout innings surrendering only two hits. He came away with his eighth win on the season after Whiteman belted a Brandon Villafuerte fastball out of the park in the twelfth inning.
The Express road trip moves on to Raley Field in Sacramento. The E-Train takes on Sacramento River Cats, AAA affiliate of the Oakland A's. Lefty Carlos Hernandez goes in the 9:05 PM central start.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 8, 2005
- Pickering's second homer decides see-saw battle - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Seven unanswered runs net Sounds 8-5 win - Nashville Sounds
- Royals win on walk off homer in tenth - Tucson Sidewinders
- Sele wins in RedHawk debut - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Zephyrs fall to Beavers 3-2 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Omaha Royals game notes - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tip A 51 Luncheon coming - Las Vegas Aviators
- Stingers remain in first place, Dallas McPherson returns - Salt Lake Bees
- Oklahoma August 8 Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Pacific Coast League names players of the week - PCL
- Corey Hart Named PCL Batter-Of-The-Week - Nashville Sounds
- Whiteman homer wins it in 11 - Round Rock Express
- DeVore's three home runs not enough in Grizzlies' loss to Express - Fresno Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express Partners with StellarAlgo
- Round Rock Express INF Abraham Toro, RHP Cristian Javier Named Houston Astros Minor League Players of the Year
- River Cats Top Express 7-5 in Season-Ending Heartbreaker
- Houston Astros SS Carlos Correa Joins Round Rock Express for Major League Rehab Assignment on Friday Night
- River Cats Top Express 4-2 in PCL Championship Game Two