De Jong, Turner Joins Thunder Roster
Wichita, KS - The Wichita Thunder, ECHL affiliate of the NHL's Edmonton Oilers, AHL's Bakersfield Condors and powered by Toyota, announced today the signing of defenseman Brendan De Jong (de-Young) and forward Michael Turner for the upcoming 2019-20 season.
De Jong, 21, turns pro after playing the last five seasons for the Western Hockey League's Portland Winterhawks. A native of Victoria, British Columbia, the 6-foot-5, 198-pound blueliner is the younger brother of Nolan De Jong, who played for the Thunder last season. He was selected in the sixth round (#166 overall) by the Carolina Hurricanes in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft. In 317 games for the Winterhawks, he collected 88 points (24g, 64a) and 218 penalty minutes. He earned an invite to Edmonton's Rookie Camp and will attend Bakersfield's main camp starting later this week.
"He's a big strong defenseman who had rave reviews from the scouts I spoke to," stated Head Coach Bruce Ramsay. "He has hopes of earning a two-way contract with the Condors and has a great chance to do so."
Turner, 23, spent the majority of last season with the Rapid City Rush. A native of Chicago, Illinois, the 6-foot-2, 207-pound forward finished the season with the Thunder. He totaled 11 points (4g, 7a) to go along with 90 penalty minutes in his time with the Rush. Turner enters his fourth year as a pro, also having played for Greenville, Orlando and Wheeling.
"Michael is a big, strong smooth skating forward who will play physical. Stefan Fournier spoke very highly of him and suggested that we bring him back. He is the type of player who will stand up for his teammates and we are excited to have him back."
The Thunder will open the season at home on Friday and Saturday, October 11th and 12th and will host the 2020 Warrior Hockey/ECHL All-Star Classic, presented by Toyota, on Wednesday January 22nd, 2020. Get your tickets now for the league's annual showcase that features some of the best young talent across the ECHL.
Season tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now. Get your seats for just $34 per month. All it takes is a $1 deposit per seat to reserve yours today. To learn more, click here or contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from September 17, 2019
- Colby McAuley Back with Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- De Jong, Turner Joins Thunder Roster - Wichita Thunder
- IceMen Add Tough Defenseman Nick Wright - Jacksonville IceMen
- Alex Krushelnyski Agrees to Terms with Indy - Indy Fuel
- Mike McKee Returns to Oilers Lineup - Tulsa Oilers
- Longtime AHL Pro Ryan Horvat Signed by Greenville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Rush Add Scoring Threat Peter Quenneville - Rapid City Rush
- Hildebrand Back for Year Two in Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- $6 Kids Tickets Enhance Family-Friendly Royals Experience - Reading Royals
- Mariners Launch Community Collection Program - Maine Mariners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.