Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Saturday
Saturday, July 31, 2021 l Game # 76
Day Air Ballpark l Dayton, Ohio l 7:08 p.m.
TV: Dayton's CW (26) l Radio: 980 WONE Fox Sports
Lake County Captains (39-36) at Dayton Dragons (41-33)
RH Hunter Gaddis (2-6, 5.26) vs. RH Carson Spiers (3-1, 3.94)
Today's Game: The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the Lake County Captains (affiliate of the Cleveland Indians) in the fifth game of a six-game series.
2021 Season Series: Lake County 6, Dayton 4. Current Series: Dayton 2, Lake County 2.
Last Game: Friday: Lake County 8, Dayton 5. The Captains scored four runs in the top of the seventh inning to erase a 4-2 Dayton lead. Lake County starting pitcher Daniel Espino struck out 12 in four innings, topping out at 100 mph, and the trio of Captains pitchers combined to notch 20 strikeouts, the most ever by an opposing team at Day Air Ballpark. The 20 strikeouts also tied a club record, set in West Michigan on Sept. 1, 2012. It was just the fourth time this season that the Dragons lost at home after leading at any point during the game.
Current Series: The Dragons are 2-2 in the current series with Lake County. Dayton is batting .269 in the series and averaging 4.5 runs per game. The team ERA in the series is 4.75. The Dragons have committed five errors in the four games.
Coming in Hot: Reliever Sam Hellinger joined the Dragons yesterday from Daytona. Over Hellinger's last two appearances, he retired 18 of a possible 19 batters faced. He tossed six shutout innings, allowing just one hit and no walks with 10 strikeouts. In six appearances with Daytona, Hellinger posted a 1.62 ERA. He opened the season with the Dragons and pitched in 13 games with a 7.00 ERA.
Francisco Urbaez has an active 36-game on-base streak. Urbaez ranks second in the league in both on-base percentage at .432 and batting average at .340. Urbaez is sixth in the league in OPS at .906. Urbaez is batting .361 over his last 49 games since May 29 to rank third in all of full-season Professional Baseball (150 teams; MLB and MiLB) over that time period.
Victor Ruiz is batting .313 with 11 doubles over his last 26 games to raise his average from .213 to .268.
Miguel Hernandez is batting .373 with 13 RBI over his last 16 games to raise his average from .241 to .275.
Jacob Hurtubise is batting .341 over his last 14 games.
Quin Cotton is batting .400 over his last six games.
Juan Martinez has a seven-game hitting streak, batting .357 over the seven games.
Ricky Karcher has earned a save in each of his last three appearances, working 3.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 SO.
July: The Dragons are batting .260 in the month of July to rank third in the league, but they rank 10th in runs per game at 4.23. They are third in the league in runners left on base in July with 197. They have hit only seven home runs in July to rank 12th in the league (the #11 team has 17). Francisco Urbaez leads the team in batting in July at .372 with a 1.000 OPS...Miguel Hernandez is hitting .293 in July...Quin Cotton is hitting .291...Victor Ruiz is hitting .290...The team batting average over the last seven days is .281, tied for first in the league.
The team ERA in July is 5.27, 12th (last) in the league...The team ERA over the last seven days is 4.00, which ranks fifth in the league.
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (Game times are Dayton time) (All games on WONE 980 AM and www.daytondragons.com)
Sun., August 1 (2:08 p.m.): Lake County RH Mason Hickman (5-5, 5.01) at Dayton RH Lyon Richardson (2-4, 5.27) TV: Dayton's CW (26)
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from July 31, 2021
- Offense Provides Twelve Runs and Bullpen Does the Work for a Timber Rattlers Win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Wisconsin Wins Versus Cedar Rapids - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bandits Ride Three Solo Bombs to 50th Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- 'Caps Come up Big in 7-4 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- July Ends with Loons Loss to West Michigan - Great Lakes Loons
- Misner Homers Twice In Snappers' Third Straight Win - Beloit Snappers
- Captains Break Open Close Game, Defeat Dragons 9-0 - Dayton Dragons
- Peluse Dazzles, Díaz Delivers in 3-1 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Bats Back Strong Gaddis Start - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Fall Despite Strong Start From Guarate - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Two Pitchers Join Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Information: July 31 at Lansing - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- One Strike from Win, Cubs Then Lose in Extras - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons Close out Season with Win, Finish in Tie for First But Miss Playoffs
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Sunday
- Dragons Win But Playoff Hopes End as Cedar Rapids Tops Peoria
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Saturday
- Dragons Earn 4th Straight Win, Stay in Playoff Hunt