Captains Break Open Close Game, Defeat Dragons 9-0
Dayton, Ohio - Joe Donovan's two-run home run broke a scoreless tie with two outs in the fifth inning and the Lake County Captains went on to a 9-0 victory over the Dayton Dragons on Saturday night. A crowd of 7,954 was in attendance at Day Air Ballpark.
The Captains have won three of five games in the series that will conclude on Sunday at 2:00 p.m.
Dayton starting pitcher Carson Spiers and Lake County's Hunter Gaddis hooked up in a pitcher's duel into the fifth inning. Spiers had allowed just two hits over the first four innings before surrendering a two-out, two-run homer to Donovan in the fifth.
Lake County scored five runs in the sixth against Dragons reliever Sam Hellinger to push their advantage to 7-0. They closed out the scoring with two more in the eighth.
The Dragons could never mount an attack at the plate. They collected just three hits, all singles, and did not have a runner reach second base until the eighth inning. Dayton's Francisco Urbaez went 0 for 4 as his 36-game on-base streak came to an end.
Spiers (3-2) was charged with the loss. He worked five innings, allowing four hits and two runs with two walks and eight strikeouts.
The Race: The Dragons remained in second place, one-half game behind Great Lakes in the East Division of the High-A Central League. They also remained one and one-half games behind Cedar Rapids in the race for the final playoff berth with 44 games to play.
Up Next: The Dragons (41-35) host Lake County (41-36) on Sunday at 2:05 p.m. at Day Air Ballpark in the last game of a six-game home series. Lyon Richardson (2-4, 5.27) will pitch for Dayton against Lake County's Mason Hickman (5-5, 5.01).
On the Air: Sunday's game will be televised on Dayton's CW (Channel 26; Spectrum Cable channels 13 and 1013). All Dragons games are broadcast on radio on 980 WONE AM Fox Sports. Games can be heard on smart phones, iPads, and other mobile devices via the free Dragons Mobile App, or on a computer at wone.com. Games are also available on HD Radio on 104.7 WTUI HD 2.
For Dragons 2021 ticket information, call (937) 228-2287 or go to daytondragons.com.
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from July 31, 2021
- Offense Provides Twelve Runs and Bullpen Does the Work for a Timber Rattlers Win - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Wisconsin Wins Versus Cedar Rapids - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bandits Ride Three Solo Bombs to 50th Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- 'Caps Come up Big in 7-4 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- July Ends with Loons Loss to West Michigan - Great Lakes Loons
- Misner Homers Twice In Snappers' Third Straight Win - Beloit Snappers
- Captains Break Open Close Game, Defeat Dragons 9-0 - Dayton Dragons
- Peluse Dazzles, Díaz Delivers in 3-1 Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Bats Back Strong Gaddis Start - Lake County Captains
- TinCaps Fall Despite Strong Start From Guarate - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Two Pitchers Join Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Game Information: July 31 at Lansing - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- One Strike from Win, Cubs Then Lose in Extras - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Dragons Stories
- Dragons Close out Season with Win, Finish in Tie for First But Miss Playoffs
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Sunday
- Dragons Win But Playoff Hopes End as Cedar Rapids Tops Peoria
- Dayton Dragons Game Notes for Saturday
- Dragons Earn 4th Straight Win, Stay in Playoff Hunt