Cyclones Late Comeback Bid Falls Short in Game 2
Ft. Wayne, IN- The Cincinnati Cyclones fell to the Ft. Wayne Komets, 3-1 in Game 2 of the Divisional Semifinals of the 2018 Kelly Cup Playoffs on Sunday evening. The Komets lead the best-of-seven series, 2 games to 0. Forward Justin Vaive tallied the lone goal for the Cyclones.
After a scoreless opening period, Ft. Wayne opened the scoring 6:09 into the second when defenseman Cody Sol lit the lamp on a 5-on-3 power play to put the Komets ahead, 1-0.
The 1-0 score held up throughout the remainder of the second, and in the third Cincinnati was on the receiving end of several quality scoring chances. Additionally, the Komets, who outshot Cincinnati 32-23 over the final two periods, forced Cyclones netminder Jonas Johansson to make a myriad of game-preserving stops all throughout the period. With 2:29 remaining in regulation, Ft. Wayne extended their lead to a pair when forward Mason Baptista put the Komets on top, 2-0.
The Cyclones were not deterred, and with 37 seconds left while on a power play with the extra-attacker, defenseman Eric Knodel took a shot that was kicked out by Ft. Wayne goaltender Michael Houser right to Vaive, and he slammed in the rebound to cut the Cincinnati deficit in half, 2-1.
Cincinnati had a couple of more chances in the final seconds, however an empty-netter from Ft. Wayne's Garrett Thompson sealed the 3-1 Komets victory, and sent Ft. Wayne to a 2-0 series lead.
The Cyclones were outshot, 38-34 on the evening, with Johansson stopping 35 in the loss. The Cyclones return home on Thursday night for Game 3 against the Komets, with the puck drop scheduled for 7:35pm ET.
The 2017-18 season is underway, and the Cincinnati Cyclones want YOU along for the ride! Call (513) 421-PUCK for information regarding Cyclones single game tickets, ticket packages, and Season and Group Tickets!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 15, 2018
- Cyclones Late Comeback Bid Falls Short in Game 2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Hilbrich, Nagle Lift Walleye to 2-0 Series Lead - Indy Fuel
- Eagles Take Game 1 in OT, 2-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Railers Drop Game 3 to Thunder 3-1 in Front of 4,216 at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Beaudin's Shorthanded Goal in OT Gives Eagles 1-0 Series Lead - Colorado Eagles
- Thunder Take Series Lead with 3-1 Victory in Game 3 - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - April 15 - ECHL
- Indy Adds Chris Rygus to Playoff Roster - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Game Notes: 2018 Kelly Cup Divisional Semifinals vs. Ft. Wayne- Game 2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game 3 - Adirondack (1-1) At. Worcester (1-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Three Assigned to Thunder in Advance of Game 3 - Adirondack Thunder
- Americans Take 2-0 Series Lead Headed Back to Allen - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Comeback Falls Short in Game 2 Loss - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cincinnati Cyclones Stories
- Cyclones Season Comes to An End Following Game 5 Loss
- Cyclones Game Notes: 2018 Kelly Cup Divisional Semifinals vs. Ft. Wayne- Game 5
- Cyclones Pushed to Brink Following Game 4 Loss
- Cyclones Announce Second Round Playoff Dates
- Cyclones Game Notes: 2018 Kelly Cup Divisional Semifinals vs. Ft. Wayne- Game 4