Americans Take 2-0 Series Lead Headed Back to Allen
Boise, Idaho -The Allen Americans won in Idaho on Saturday night by a score of 5-4 and take a commanding 2-0 lead in their ECHL Playoff Series.
"That's playoff hockey," said Americans Rookie Forward Braylon Shmyr, who scored his first career playoff goal last night. "We're just going to go out there every game and play hard knowing that each game things will get a little tougher. We know they'll come in next Wednesday playing desperate hockey, so we have to be ready."
The first half of the opening period was completely dominated by the Americans. Through thirteen minutes, Allen had 10 shots on goal, two of which found the back of the net, while holding Idaho to zero shots on goal. Jared Bethune scored the first goal for the Americans, which was his first career postseason goal and Casey Pierro-Zabotel scored the second goal of the game, his first of the series. Late in the first period, the Steelheads found their groove scoring two goals on just five shots. The period would end in a 2-2 tie.
Early in the second, the play would go back and forth with both teams doing a good job of getting open and getting shots on net. However, it was David Makowski who would break the tie early in the second to give the Americans the 3-2 lead. The fast-paced period would end with the Americans in front by one.
Despite being outshot in the third, the Americans were able to take advantage of the shots they had. Casey Pierro-Zabotel netted his second goal of the game to double up the score over the Steelheads. The Steelheads responded with a goal of their own scored by Justin Parizek, his first playoff goal in his professional career. The Americans and the Steelheads would trade goals late in the third. Zach Pochiro scored on an empty net to make it 5-3 Americans, but the Steelheads answered with 50 seconds left in the game to pull within one. Americans were able to hold off the offensive pressure by the Steelheads and solidified the 5-4 win.
The Americans fell into some penalty trouble throughout the game but presented an impressive penalty-killing unit that went 5/6 on the night including fighting off a 5 on 3.
Americans look to go up 3-0 in the series back at home in Allen on Wednesday night. Tickets are on sale NOW at www.allenamericans.com. Below is the complete series.
3 Stars of the Game
1. ALN - D. Makowski
2. IDH - C. Ully
3. ALN - C. Pierro-Zabotel
Allen Americans vs. Idaho Steelheads, Allen leads the Best of 7 series 2-0
Game 1: Americans 3 @ Idaho 2 F
Game 2: Americans 5 @ Idaho 4 F
Game 3: Idaho @ Americans - Wednesday, April 18th @ 7:05pm - Allen Event Center
Game 4: Idaho @ Americans - Friday, April 20th @ 7:05pm - Allen Event Center
Game 5: Idaho @ Americans - Sunday, April 22nd @ 6:05pm - Allen Event Center*
Game 6: Americans @ Idaho - Tuesday, April 24th @ 8:10pm - Boise, Idaho*
Game 7: Americans @ Idaho - Wednesday, April 25th @ 8:10pm - Boise, Idaho*
* If Necessary
Americans Next Home Game
Allen Americans vs. Idaho Steelheads Game 3
Wednesday, April 18th 7:05 pm
Venue: Allen Event Center
Watch or Listen Live
ECHL TV - http://echl.neulion.com/echl/home
Mobile App -http://mixlr.com/allen-americans-hock
Images from this story
Allen Americans Goaltender Jake Paterson vs. the Idaho Steelheads
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 15, 2018
- Cyclones Late Comeback Bid Falls Short in Game 2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Hilbrich, Nagle Lift Walleye to 2-0 Series Lead - Indy Fuel
- Eagles Take Game 1 in OT, 2-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Railers Drop Game 3 to Thunder 3-1 in Front of 4,216 at DCU Center - Worcester Railers HC
- Beaudin's Shorthanded Goal in OT Gives Eagles 1-0 Series Lead - Colorado Eagles
- Thunder Take Series Lead with 3-1 Victory in Game 3 - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - April 15 - ECHL
- Indy Adds Chris Rygus to Playoff Roster - Indy Fuel
- Cyclones Game Notes: 2018 Kelly Cup Divisional Semifinals vs. Ft. Wayne- Game 2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Game 3 - Adirondack (1-1) At. Worcester (1-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Three Assigned to Thunder in Advance of Game 3 - Adirondack Thunder
- Americans Take 2-0 Series Lead Headed Back to Allen - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Comeback Falls Short in Game 2 Loss - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Allen Americans Stories
- Americans Add Forward Butcher, Affiliation Announcement Coming this Saturday
- Americans Sign Captain Joel Chouinard
- Americans Extend Qualifying Offers
- Americans to Host Education Day Game in December
- Americans to Host Networking Event Wednesday Night at Allen Event Center