Cutthroats Burned by Arizona Power Play in 4-2 Loss
PRESCOTT VALLEY, Ariz. - The Arizona Sundogs used three power play goals on Friday night to take a 4-2 win over the Denver Cutthroats at Tim's Toyota Center in front of a crowd of 2,033.
A lopsided power play count of 7-2 in favor of Arizona allowed the Sundogs (16-16-4) to keep the Cutthroats (18-13-4) in check throughout the night. Chad Nehring's game-winning goal was the only even-strength tally of the game for the hometown Dogs.
Nehring's game-winner came when Matt McCready's wrist shot from the left circle deflected off his body in front of the net 7:42 into the third period. Derek LeBlanc padded the Sundogs' lead with Arizona's third power play goal of the night late in the frame. Denver's Brad Smyth had knotted the score at 2-2 on a rebound goal 2:41 into the third period for his 17th of the season.
A pair of first period power play goals put the Cutthroats in an early hole as Jason Morgan scored on a loose puck at the top of the goal crease with a two-man advantage for Arizona and Matt Register then added another less than a minute later from the slot for a 2-0, Sundogs lead.
Luke Fulghum put Denver on the board with a wrist shot from the top of the slot for his ninth of the season. It was the only goal of period two with 3:18 left to play.
The loss now drops Denver to 0-2-2 on their 12-game road trip throughout the month of January. The Cutthroats currently sit in a third place tie in the CHL with the Missouri Mavericks and Fort Worth Brahmas.
Kieran Millan turned aside 30 shots in his first appearance since returning from the AHL's Lake Erie Monsters. Adam Russo stopped 23 in the win for Arizona.
The Cutthroats and Sundogs close out their weekend set on Saturday at Tim's Toyota Center. Puck drop is set for 7:05 PM MST.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2013
- Boron's 35 Saves Propels Rush to 3-1 Win over Thunder - Rapid City Rush
- Sundogs Beat Cutthroats, 4-2 Victory - Arizona Sundogs
- Rapid City Upends Wichita 3-1 - Wichita Thunder
- Cutthroats Burned by Arizona Power Play in 4-2 Loss - Denver Cutthroats
- Mavs' Win Streak Ends in 4-1 Loss to Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Bloomington Slips Past Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Blaze Hold off Mallards - Bloomington Blaze
- Oilers Break Road Curse with 4-1 Victory in Missouri - Tulsa Oilers
- Brahmas Hold on for 4-3 Win over Allen - Fort Worth Brahmas
- CHL MVP Finalist Returns to Wichita - Wichita Thunder
- Fort Worth Adds Defensive Depth - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Shots from the Point for January 11, 2013 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster