Cutters Win Again, Take 3-2 Decision at Auburn
Auburn, N.Y. - Crosscutters pitching again combined for a stellar effort on the road in a 3-2 victory at the Auburn Doubledays on Thursday night. Leonel Aponte, Hsin-Chieh Lin (W, 1-0) and Rafael Carvajal (S, 2) limited Auburn to just four hits only one day after three other Cutters pitchers had combined on a two-hit shutout in the series opener.
Johan Rojas went 3-for-4 with his league-leading fifth triple. Hunter Hearn had an RBI single. And Logan O'Hoppe had a single, RBI and run scored while also throwing out his 12th attempted base-stealer of the season.
Bryson Stott was 2-for-3 to extend his hitting streak to eight games. The Phillies first-rounder has gone 15-for-31 (.484) in the streak including three doubles, one triple and three home runs.
Carvajal wrapped up his second save of the season with a five-strikeout stint in just two innings. He has allowed just one earned run in his last 17.2 innings since July 12.
Earlier in the day it was announced that four Crosscutters have been selected to play in the New York-Penn League All-Star Game at Staten Island on Wednesday, August 21. Logan O'Hoppe, Kendall Simmons, Bryson Stott and Corbin Williams will all be representing the Cutters in the league's showcase classic.
The Crosscutters will look to sweep the road series at Auburn on Friday at 7:05 p.m. with RHP Victor Vargas making his first start.
WIL 3 11 1 (7)
AUB 2 4 0 (3)
W - Hsin-Chieh Lin (1-0)
L - Rafael Gomez (1-5)
S - Rafael Carvajal (2)
Crosscutters Record: 24-36
Next Game: Friday, August 13, 7:05 p.m. at Auburn
Next Home Game/Promotion: Thursday, August 22, 7:05 p.m. vs. Mahoning Valley / Pin Giveaway
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Fuller Homers to Help Spikes Past Scrappers in 5-2 Victory - State College Spikes
- All Pitch, No Hit, Gades Whipped - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Davidson's Homer Sends Monsters to 6-4 Win - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Tigers Strike Twice in Extras to Stun Hudson Valley - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Davidson And Morban Lead Vermont To 6-4 Win - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Cutters Win Again, Take 3-2 Decision at Auburn - Williamsport Crosscutters
- IronBirds Battle Back Late But Fall Short - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Six Renegades Named to All-Star Team - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Spinners All-Stars Announced Thursday Afternoon - Lowell Spinners
- Four West Virginia Players Selected to NY-Penn League All-Star Game - West Virginia Black Bears
- Spinners Swept in Doubleheader Thursday Afternoon - Lowell Spinners
- 2019 All Star Game Rosters Announced - Staten Island Yankees
- Scrappers Back at Eastwood Field Saturday August 17-19; Free Movie Night Friday - Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- Cyclones Stars Set to Shine - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Doubledays 2-Hit by Crosscutters - Auburn Doubledays
- August 14th Game Postponed - Staten Island Yankees
- Spikes Succumb to Crosscutters' Late Flurry in 7-5 Defeat - State College Spikes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.