Cunningham Triple Sends Beavers to First Sweep in Las Vegas
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Aaron Cunningham hit two doubles and a go-ahead three-run triple, finishing with four RBIs in support of Cesar Carrillo, who ended a 17-start win drought, as the Portland Beavers finished off a four-game sweep of the Las Vegas 51s with a 6-4 win at Cashman Field Tuesday night.
Cunningham, who finished the series with seven hits and 10 RBIs in the last three games, ripped a two-out, bases-clearing triple to center in the seventh inning off Luis Perez (4-5) to break a 3-3 tie. Wily Mo Peña scored three runs and Josh Barfield tallied two hits as the Beavers (52-79) swept the 51s (61-70) for the first time since 2004 and earned their first sweep at Cashman Field since returning to the PCL in 2001.
Carrillo (5-13) captured his first win since defeating Nashville on May 18, throwing 6 2/3 innings while holding the 51s (61-70) to three runs on six hits and a walk.
Danny Perales had a two-run single while Mike McCoy and Jason Lane had two hits each for Las Vegas.
Perez went seven innings and allowed six runs (3 earned) on eight hits and three walks.
Cunningham's first double scored Peña in the second. He doubled again in the fourth and came home on Nick Green's RBI single as the Beavers took a 2-0 lead.
The 51s took the lead in the bottom of the fourth as Brad Emaus hit an RBI double to right and Perales followed with a two-run single.
The Beavers leveled the game at three on Cedric Hunter's RBI single in the sixth before Cunningham struck again in the seventh. With two outs, Perez walked Sean Kazmar and Mike Baxter, then the shortstop McCoy misplayed a groundball to put Peña on base. Cunningham ripped Perez's next offering off the wall in right center to clear the bases for his third extra-base hit of the night.
Adam Russell walked three of the first four batters in the ninth inning, allowing one to score on a groundout before stranding the potential tying run at second base. He converted his 10th straight save and 12th on the season.
The Beavers head back to the Northwest to face the Rainiers in Tacoma Wednesday night at 7 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: Cunningham has driven in 19 runs in his last nine road games ... Russell leads the PCL with 10 saves since the All-Star break, including three in the series ... the Beavers have won seven straight road games, one away from a franchise record ... the Beavers now head to Tacoma, where they have lost seven in a row and 14 of their last 16.
Beavers Game File TUESDAY'S GAME: Beavers 6, Las Vegas 4 WINNING PITCHER: Carrillo (5-13) LOSING PITCHER: Perez (4-5) SAVE: Russell (12) HOME RUNS: None WEDNESDAY'S GAME: Portland (Cory Luebke: 4-0, 3.44) at Tacoma (Mauricio Robles: 1-0, 5.40), 7 p.m. (Pacific); live audio broadcast on Freedom 970 AM and www.portlandbeavers.com. Follow the Beavers on Twitter (www.twitter.com/PortlandBeavers) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/OfficialPortlandBeavers).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 25, 2010
- Luebke Spins Gem as Beavers Win Fifth Straight - Portland Beavers
- Aces Silence Las Vegas Bats in 5-1 Win - Reno Aces
- Redbirds Roll by Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Round Rock Express Drop Opener at Memphis 3-1 - Round Rock Express
- Big Inning, Josh Muecke Lead Sox to 7-3 Win - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Z's Lose Opener in Nashville - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Win Homestand Opener, 2-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Moustakas a Finalist for Player of the Year - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Round Rock Express Game Notes at Memphis Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- 'Topes Homestand Continues with Pivotal Series Vs. Okie City - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Campos Reassigned to Arkansas, Amarista Joins Bees - Salt Lake Bees
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Astros Claim Infielder Downs off Waivers - Round Rock Express
- River Cats to Hold Rally at Capitol Mall - Sacramento River Cats
- Cunningham Triple Sends Beavers to First Sweep in Las Vegas - Portland Beavers
- 'Topes and Z's Split Twin-Bill 6-5, 3-8 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Allen, Gillespie Power Aces to 7-6 Win Over Tacoma - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss