Cuevas Stars in Eight-Inning Gem over Syracuse
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - Pawtucket Red Sox starter William Cuevas matched a career-high and fired the longest outing by a PawSox starter this year, spinning eight brilliant innings in a 3-1 win over the Syracuse Chiefs on Monday night at NBT Bank Stadium.
The PawSox (29-32) scored a run in the first inning and two more in the third, providing plenty of support for Cuevas, who led Pawtucket to the victory in the opener of the three-game series with the Chiefs (28-33) to begin the seven-game road trip. The PawSox combined on a nine-inning three-hitter for the fourth time this season.
Cuevas (W, 4-3) logged eight innings for the third time in his professional career, matching a pair of sharp outings with the PawSox in 2016. The 27-year old right-hander from Venezuela only allowed a run on three hits - including a bloop single to left field and a gently-hit single past an infield shift - and struck out six against just one walk. In his last four starts, Cuevas has only surrendered two earned runs in 27.1 innings with 21 strikeouts and seven walks.
Pawtucket left-hander Bobby Poyner (S, 2) buzzed through a 1-2-3 ninth inning, capped off by a strikeout.
After he bashed a three-run homer in Sunday's 11-1 victory, PawSox third baseman Mike Olt (3-for-3, 2B, RBI, BB) had a well-rounded day at the plate. Second baseman Ivan De Jesus Jr. (2-for-3, 2B, RBI) added a second consecutive multi-hit performance and is now 12-for-30 (.400) with nine RBIs and nine walks in his last 11 games.
Syracuse starter Austin Voth (L, 4-4) ceded three runs on seven hits and two walks despite striking out eight.
Pawtucket started the scoring in the top of the first inning when center fielder Rusney Castillo drilled an RBI single into the left-center gap to plate shortstop Tzu-Wei Lin and make it 1-0.
The PawSox added two more in the third, as De Jesus drilled a sacrifice fly to center with the bases loaded, and Olt followed with an RBI single into left field to stretch the margin to 3-0.
Former Pawtucket infielder and current Syracuse third baseman Chris Dominguez blasted a solo homer off the batter's eye in the fifth inning to get Syracuse on the board, 3-1.
The PawSox continue their three-game series with Syracuse on Tuesday at 6:35 p.m. Pawtucket right-hander Chandler Shepherd (4-4, 3.53) is scheduled to oppose Chiefs lefty Tommy Millone (3-4, 5.40). Radio coverage on WHJJ (920 AM and 104.7 FM) and throughout the PawSox Radio Network begins with the pre-game show at 6:05 p.m.
The PawSox will return home to McCoy Stadium on June 19-24 (Tuesday-Sunday) for a seven-game homestand against the Buffalo Bisons (Toronto Blue Jays) and Syracuse. Good seats are available, and fans can visit the McCoy Stadium box office, which is open Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. through 5 p.m., and during all home games. Fans can also call (401) 724-7300 or log on to PawSox.com for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 11, 2018
- Mud Hens Combine for Three-Hit Shutout - Toledo Mud Hens
- Hens Shut Down Tribe in Series Opener - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Drop Series Opener, 7-4 - Louisville Bats
- Leblebijian, Sweeney Power Bisons to 9-4 Win - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Take Opener at Coca-Cola Park - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders' Bats Heat up in 10-3 Victory - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Cuevas Stars in Eight-Inning Gem over Syracuse - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Losing Streak Hits Eight with 10-3 Loss Monday - Rochester Red Wings
- Chiefs Drop Homestand Opener to PawSox, 3-1 - Syracuse Chiefs
- Stripers' Doubleheader in Norfolk Postponed Monday - Gwinnett Stripers
- Norfolk and Gwinnett Rained out Monday - Norfolk Tides
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (32-28) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (38-23) - Indianapolis Indians
- Plates v. Potatoes, Batman Night Highlight Homestand - Rochester Red Wings
- First Place Mud Hen Weekly - Toledo Mud Hens
- Louisville Bats Notes: June 11 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Lehigh Valley (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Local Artist, Josh Flanigan, Cooks up the Chicken Wing for 'Buffalo Wings' Design - Buffalo Bisons
- Irvin Named IL Pitcher of the Week Again - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Kellman Named Spirit of the International League Award Winner - Indianapolis Indians
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Homer Bailey to Make Rehab Start for Bats - Louisville Bats
- 'Bull Durham' Anniversary Celebration Highlights Homestand - Durham Bulls
- Indy's Howard Kellman Honored by International League - IL
- Louisville Bats Homestand Highlights: June 11-14 - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.