Crabs Shutout Stormers Again
Waldorf, MD - One night removed from Dusten Knight setting a new Atlantic League record for strikeouts in a game with 17 and the Blue Crabs pitching staff tossing their league record 14th complete game of the season, the Blue Crabs didn't take their foot off the gas. The Crabs combined for their second shutout in as many nights and their third in their last three home games against the Lancaster Barnstormers in a 4-0 win.
Mitch Lambson was fantastic this evening. After seven scoreless innings on Tuesday night, he has now tossed 22 2/3 innings as a Blue Crab this season, striking out 22 batters without allowing a single earned run.
The sixth inning was the difference maker in a low scoring affair. Cory Vaughn started things off with his second home run in as many days to make the score 1-0. Travis Witherspoon followed it up with a 386 foot home run that came off the bat at 103 MPH to bring in a pair of runs and hand the Crabs a 3-0 lead. Witherspoon who entered the game 0-10 in the homestand went 3-4 tonight with two home runs.
Lambson led the Blue Crabs pitching staff to their second streak in this homestand of at least 22 straight innings without an earned run, with the current streak dating back to September 15th.
James Dykstra and Kevin Munson polished off the game, as the Blue Crabs pitching staff tossed their second consecutive shutout in 4-0 win.
The Blue Crabs will return home tomorrow, Wednesday, September 18th for game three of a four game set with the Lancaster Barnstormers, with a 6:35 p.m. first pitch.
Catch all Blue Crabs home games on the Blue Crabs Broadcast Network, live streamed on YouTube (@SOMDBlueCrabs) Facebook (@SOMDBlueCrabs) and Twitter (@BlueCrabs).
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from September 17, 2019
- Lambson, Witherspoon Drop Barnstormers - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Crabs Shutout Stormers Again - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Somerset Patriots Add Infielder Ryan Long - Somerset Patriots
- Bees Come From Behind In Bottom Of Eleventh To Walk-Off Skeeters - New Britain Bees
- Revs Move Closer to Playoff Berth; Can Clinch Tuesday Night - York Revolution
- High Point Drops Regular Season Home Finale 3-1 - High Point Rockers
- Good Knight, Irene - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Romero's Blast Not Enough to Top Revolution - Long Island Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Southern Maryland Blue Crabs Stories
- Southern Maryland Falls in Season Finale
- Blue Crabs Drop Second Straight Heartbreaker
- Daryl Thompson's 162 Strikeouts Second Most In A Season In Atlantic League History
- Blue Crabs Drop Finale with Stormers
- Blue Crabs Drop Second to Last Home Game of the Season