Cox Quiets Wood Ducks Offense In 4-0 Loss
Wilmington, Del. - The Down East Wood Ducks were held scoreless for the second consecutive ballgame, falling 4-0 to the Blue Rocks, Friday.
Down East (43-24, 84-44) never had more than run base runner on in a single inning on the night, while Wilmington (32-28, 76-53) had at least one runner on in seven of their eight times at the plate.
The Blue Rocks opened the scoring in the second with doubles from Kyle Kasser and Cristian Perez, to go ahead, 1-0. Then in the third inning, Wilmington added a run against Sal Mendez (loss, 6-2). Kyie Isbel worked a two-out walk, and Dennicher Carrasco followed with an RBI double to left to make it 2-0.
Mendez gave up two runs on seven hits over five innings. He walked three and struck out three.
Alex Eubanks then gave up an unearned run in the sixth to advance the deficit to 3-0. Wilmington delivered the final blow in the seventh, when Carrasco walked to lead off the inning, and was bunted to second. Nick Pratto then came through with an RBI double to right to make it a 4-0 margin.
Austin Cox (win, 3-3) worked seven scoreless innings, giving up just four hits and a walk, while striking out five.
The Wood Ducks only once got a runner to third base. It was Sherten Apostel, who led off the seventh with a single to extend his on-base streak to a league best 23-straight.
The Wood Ducks and Blue Rocks play the middle game of their three game series Saturday at 6:05 p.m., when right-hander Tim Brennan (4-2, 3.00) faces off with Wilmington lefty Daniel Lynch (4-2, 3.21). The broadcast will begin at 5:50 p.m. on 960AM The Bull, and online at 960thebull.com as well as on the MiLB First Pitch and TuneIn Radio Apps.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 23, 2019
- Red Sox and Pelicans Suspended - Salem Red Sox
- Mudcats Open Final Home Stand with 7-3 Victory - Carolina Mudcats
- Dash Take Friday's Opener at Potomac in Extras - Winston-Salem Dash
- Pelicans and Red Sox Suspended in 11th of Series Opener - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Five-Run 10th Plagues P-Nats in 9-4 Loss - Potomac Nationals
- Cox Quiets Wood Ducks Offense In 4-0 Loss - Down East Wood Ducks
- Mudcats Push Past Lynchburg with Big Seventh Inning - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Keys and Woodpeckers Rained Out - Frederick Keys
- Fayetteville and Frederick Postponed - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- August 23 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- August 23 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (August 23 at Potomac) - Winston-Salem Dash
- The #GoMudcats Fun in 2019 Concludes When the Mudcats Return to Five County Stadium Tonight - Carolina Mudcats
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: August 23 at Salem - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Fitzgerald Named Carolina League Year-End All-Star - Salem Red Sox
- Six-Run Eighth Guides Dash to Series Win at Lynchburg - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Down East Wood Ducks Stories
- Wood Ducks Statement on Delay of 2020 Season
- Down East Wood Ducks to Host ECU vs UNCW Baseball Game, April 14
- Wood Ducks Announce 2020 Coaching Staff
- Down East Wood Ducks Unveil New Copa de la Diversion Identity for 2020 Season
- Stephen Watson Named 2019 Carolina League Turf Manager of the Year