Cougars Sign Two Prospects to WHL Standard Player Agreements
PRINCE GEORGE, BC- The Prince George Cougars Hockey Club is pleased to announce they have signed 2003-born forward Fischer O'Brien and 2002-born defenceman Ethan McColm to Western Hockey League (WHL) Standard Player Agreements.
O'Brien was originally drafted by the Lethbridge Hurricanes in fifth-round, 98th overall, in the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft. The Prince George native was acquired by the Cougars in May in exchange for Tyson Phare.
Fischer, the younger brother of former Cougar Brogan O'Brien, spent last season with the Cariboo Cougars in the BC Major Midget League. In 40 regular season games the Prince George product had seven points (2g, 5a) and six penalty-minutes. In his Bantam draft year, O'Brien was the third-leading scorer on his hometown Bantam Tier 1 Cougars, compiled 23 points (9g, 14a) in 18 games. He helped the Bantam Tier 1 Cougars to a second-place finish at the 2018 provincial championship.
"Fischer was a pleasant surprise for us in Training Camp. He's a smart, all-around player that we think will be a good fit in our organization going forward," noted Cougars' General Manager & Head Coach Mark Lamb.
McColm was drafted by the Regina Pats in the eighth-round, 176th overall, in the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft. The rangy defender was acquired by the Cougars near the 2018 WHL Trade Deadline in a trade that involved Jesse Gabrielle and Jonas Harkins.
The Oakbank, Manitoba product played for the Eastman Selects Midget AAA in the Manitoba AAA Midget Hockey League last season. In 45 games he put up 13 points (1g, 12a) to go along with 32 penalty-minutes. In the 2017-18 season, he played for the Eastman Selects U-17 in the Winnipeg AAA Hockey League, and amassed 29 points (8g, 21a) in 35 games.
"Ethan also had a really good Training Camp and you could see the growth in his game over the last year," stated Cougars' General Manager & Head Coach Mark Lamb. "He has earned his opportunity and we look forward to seeing him in pre-season action."
O'Brien and McColm will make their pre-season debut tonight when the Cougars face the Kamloops Blazers at the Langley Events Centre; the puck drops at 4:00 pm.
Single game tickets are now on-sale! See exciting Western Hockey League action starting at just $13 per game! For more information, visit the TicketsNorth by Treasure Cove box office at the CN Centre, or go online to https://www.ticketsnorth.ca.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 6, 2019
- Pair of Third Period Goals Lift Oil Kings to Pre-Season Win over Hitmen - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Cougars Drop Pre-Season Opener - Prince George Cougars
- Winterhawks Win their Second Preseason Game - Portland Winterhawks
- Pre-Game Report | Winnipeg ICE Kick-Off Pre-Season Schedule with Road Date against Brandon - Winnipeg Ice
- Portland Hockey Community Raises over $50,000 on Inaugural Winterhawks Charity Weekend - Portland Winterhawks
- Cougars Sign Two Prospects to WHL Standard Player Agreements - Prince George Cougars
- Rockets prepare for weekend tune up - Kelowna Rockets
- Tigers Acquire Fradette - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Evan Fradette Traded to Medicine Hat - Portland Winterhawks
- Three T-Birds Skating at NHL Training Camps - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Tigers Acquire Fradette from Portland - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Rebels Trim Down To 28 Players - Red Deer Rebels
- Defenseman Logan Cunningham Signs WHL Agreement - Spokane Chiefs
- Wheat Kings Host the Ice Friday Night - Brandon Wheat Kings
- 3 Power Play Goals Lift Ams to 5-3 Victory over Portland - Tri-City Americans
- Hawks Score Three in Preseason Loss - Portland Winterhawks
- Broncos Drop First Game of Pre-Season, 3-2 Shootout to Regina - Swift Current Broncos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Prince George Cougars Stories
- Koffer Invited to Czech Republic World Junior Selection Camp
- Koffer Invited to the Czech Republic's Karjala Cup Selection Camp
- Cougars Win Two Prince George Citizen Reader's Choice Awards
- Gauthier Named Cougars' NHL 21 Cover Athlete
- Cougars to Participate in Candy Cruise Prince George