Pair of Third Period Goals Lift Oil Kings to Pre-Season Win over Hitmen
Sebastian Cossa earned his second straight win of the preseason and veteran newcomer Riley Sawchuk tallied a pair of assists as the Edmonton Oil Kings skated to a 3-1 win over the Calgary Hitmen in exhibition action at the Downtown Community Arena in Edmonton on Friday night.
Dylan Myskiw started the game and played a predetermined opening two periods of play, turning aside 18 of 19 shots. With the score tied, 1-1, Cossa entered the game to start the third and stopped all 13 shots he faced as the Oil Kings took their first lead and held on for the victory.
The Hitmen opened the game's scoring early, taking a 1-0 lead at the 1:46 mark of the first period.
At 5:26, Dylan Guenther scored his third of the pre-season, one-timing a pass from Sawchuk from just above the goal line with the Oil Kings on a 5-on-3 man advantage, tying the game, 1-1. Parker Gavlas picked up the secondary assist.
Shots on goal were 10-10 through 20 minutes of play.
After a scoreless second period which saw Edmonton outshoot Calgary, 12-11, the Oil Kings finally took the lead after Jake Neighbours buried a pretty feed from Sawchuk, putting the home side up, 2-1, at 6:15.
They iced the insurance marker just 1:10 later off the stick of Jalen Luypen, who burst into the offensive zone on the near side and potted his first of the pre-season, unassisted, at 7:25.
Final shots on goal were 32-27, Calgary, after the Hitmen outshot the Oil Kings by a 13-9 margin in the third period.
The Hitmen were held scoreless on the power play, 0-for-3, while the Oil Kings were successful once in their eight chances with the man advantage.
EOK365 Season Seat Memberships, Five-Star Plans, Flex Packs and single game tickets for the Edmonton Oil Kings 2019-20 regular season are on sale now. Ticket packages start at just $99 per seat, and single game tickets are as low as $20! Call 780-414-GOAL (4625), email [email protected] or visit OilKings.ca for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 6, 2019
- Pair of Third Period Goals Lift Oil Kings to Pre-Season Win over Hitmen - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Cougars Drop Pre-Season Opener - Prince George Cougars
- Winterhawks Win their Second Preseason Game - Portland Winterhawks
- Pre-Game Report | Winnipeg ICE Kick-Off Pre-Season Schedule with Road Date against Brandon - Winnipeg Ice
- Portland Hockey Community Raises over $50,000 on Inaugural Winterhawks Charity Weekend - Portland Winterhawks
- Cougars Sign Two Prospects to WHL Standard Player Agreements - Prince George Cougars
- Rockets prepare for weekend tune up - Kelowna Rockets
- Tigers Acquire Fradette - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Evan Fradette Traded to Medicine Hat - Portland Winterhawks
- Three T-Birds Skating at NHL Training Camps - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Tigers Acquire Fradette from Portland - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Rebels Trim Down To 28 Players - Red Deer Rebels
- Defenseman Logan Cunningham Signs WHL Agreement - Spokane Chiefs
- Wheat Kings Host the Ice Friday Night - Brandon Wheat Kings
- 3 Power Play Goals Lift Ams to 5-3 Victory over Portland - Tri-City Americans
- Hawks Score Three in Preseason Loss - Portland Winterhawks
- Broncos Drop First Game of Pre-Season, 3-2 Shootout to Regina - Swift Current Broncos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edmonton Oil Kings Stories
- Canadian Hockey League Launches Memorial ECup Tournament
- Neighbours Drafted 26th Overall by St. Louis Blues
- St. Louis Blues Select Jake Neighbours 26th Overall in the 2020 NHL Draft
- Edmonton to Host Back-To-Back World Juniors
- Oil Kings Acquire Draft Picks from Everett