Broncos Drop First Game of Pre-Season, 3-2 Shootout to Regina
SWIFT CURRENT, SK - The Swift Current Broncos lost for the first time in four pre-season tilts Thursday night, 3-2 in a shootout to the Regina Pats at home.
A scoreless first period saw the Pats lead on the shot clock 11-8. It took until the halfway mark of the second period for the scoring to be opened.
Connor Horning opened the scoring when he took a drop pass from Ethan O'Rourke and fired the puck through the five hole of Max Paddock 10:29 into the second.
The Broncos changed goaltenders following the goal as Reid Dyck took over for Isaac Poulter, who stopped all 14 shots he faced.
Regina tied the game six minutes later when Dawson Holt took a hard shot from the slot off the rush and beat Dyck under the blocker. The game was tied 1-1 heading into the third period.
Swift Current ran into penalty trouble in the third period, but didn't give up any goals while shorthanded. Instead, the Pats scored with one second left in four-on-four play on a goal from Riley Krane.
With time winding down, the Broncos looked to tie the game. O'Rourke showed a great individual effort, busting through two defenceman into the Pats zone and firing a wrist shot over the glove of Paddock to tie the game with 2:15 left in regulation.
Ben King was called for high sticking with 15 seconds left in the game, giving the Pats 1:45 of power-play time to start overtime.
Dyck came up with some big saves to keep the game alive and force it to a shootout.
After Ty Kolle scored on the Pats first attempt, Paddock turned aside all three Broncos he faced, Mathew Ward, Caleb Wyrostok and Matthew Culling to preserve the win. Final shots were 41-27 Regina.
The Broncos are now off for the weekend before beginning a home and home set with the Lethbridge Hurricanes Friday, September 13.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 6, 2019
- Pair of Third Period Goals Lift Oil Kings to Pre-Season Win over Hitmen - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Cougars Drop Pre-Season Opener - Prince George Cougars
- Winterhawks Win their Second Preseason Game - Portland Winterhawks
- Pre-Game Report | Winnipeg ICE Kick-Off Pre-Season Schedule with Road Date against Brandon - Winnipeg Ice
- Portland Hockey Community Raises over $50,000 on Inaugural Winterhawks Charity Weekend - Portland Winterhawks
- Cougars Sign Two Prospects to WHL Standard Player Agreements - Prince George Cougars
- Rockets prepare for weekend tune up - Kelowna Rockets
- Tigers Acquire Fradette - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Evan Fradette Traded to Medicine Hat - Portland Winterhawks
- Three T-Birds Skating at NHL Training Camps - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Tigers Acquire Fradette from Portland - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Rebels Trim Down To 28 Players - Red Deer Rebels
- Defenseman Logan Cunningham Signs WHL Agreement - Spokane Chiefs
- Wheat Kings Host the Ice Friday Night - Brandon Wheat Kings
- 3 Power Play Goals Lift Ams to 5-3 Victory over Portland - Tri-City Americans
- Hawks Score Three in Preseason Loss - Portland Winterhawks
- Broncos Drop First Game of Pre-Season, 3-2 Shootout to Regina - Swift Current Broncos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Swift Current Broncos Stories
- Preview: Broncos Look for Answers in Vancouver
- Broncos Drop Sixth Straight, 4-0 in Victoria
- Preview: Something's Got to Give as Broncos Meet Royals in Victoria
- Broncos Drop Overtime Heartbreaker to Rockets
- Preview: Broncos Head to Kelowna Looking to End Slide