Cougars Complete Winning Road Trip
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - After a 38-minute rain delay started the night, the Kane County Cougars (5-3) beat the Cedar Rapids Kernels (2-6), 7-3, on Thursday night at Perfect Game Field. The Cougars completed a 6-game road trek with four wins in six games.
In a series riddled with 18 errors, fittingly a miscue began a Cedar Rapids rally in the second inning. With one out, Jacob Pearson reached on an error by Cougar second basemen Eddie Hernandez. He later scored on Joe Cronin's RBI single. In the fourth, the Cougars erased the one-run deficit on Alek Thomas' RBI single. In the fifth, the Cougars loaded the bases on Jose Hererra and Eddie Hernandez singles and a Geraldo Perdomo walk. The next batter, Eduardo Diaz bounced into a fielder's choice to score Hererra and give the Cougars a 2-1 lead.
The Cougars busted the game open in the sixth. Alek Thomas' second hit of the night started the frame. Jose Hererra walked with one out to bring Hernandez to the plate. The Cougars infielder doubled, driving in Thomas and making it a 3-1 game. Two batters later, Tra Holmes provided a dagger with a three-run homer.
The Cougars tacked on in the eighth on Eduardo Diaz's RBI single. The Kernels scored a pair of inconsequential runs in the bottom of the ninth. Michael Davis collected an RBI double and Jean Carlos Arias recorded a sacrifice fly.
Cougar starter Justin Lewis worked around a pair of errors to toss four innings of one-run ball. That one run was unearned. Lewis fanned six batters and walked one. Kenny Hernandez (1-0) was the only reliever the Cougars called on. He allowed the two runs in the ninth, but that was all in his five innings on the mound, good enough to earn the win. Jordan Balazovic (1-1) took the loss for Cedar Rapids. He exited after 4.2 innings, yielding two runs on four hits, despite nine strikeouts.
The Cougars return to Northwestern Medicine Field for the start of a six-game homestand on Friday night against the Peoria Chiefs. Left-hander Franklyn Soriano makes his 2019 home debut on the mound for the Cougars. Soriano opposes Jacob Schlesener. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Fans can run the bases postgame, presented by Sonic Drive-In. For tickets call 630-232-8811 or order online on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 12, 2019
- Lugnuts Complete Comeback to Take Game One 5-4 - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Come from Behind to Snap Skid - Clinton LumberKings
- Dayton's Five-Run Sixth Sinks Captains - Lake County Captains
- Big Sixth Inning Propels River Bandits to 8-3 Win at Miller Park - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Blow by 'Caps - West Michigan Whitecaps
- 'Caps 4-Game Winning Streak Ends in Kentucky - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Almond's Birthday Bash Brings 12-2 Win - Kane County Cougars
- Seventh Inning-Rally Spurs Hot Rods to 5-2 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Rattlers fall to River Bandits at Miller Park - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Lugnuts Halt Skid with Late Rally, 5-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Gorman Homers as Chiefs Fall in Kane County - Peoria Chiefs
- Kernels Walk Their Way to 8-3 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Munroe Leads Dragons to Big Win over Lake County, 10-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Long Balls Land Loons Win - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 12 at Bowling Green (Game 9) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Wintry Weather Forecast Forces Doubleheader on Saturday, April 13 - Kane County Cougars
- Bandits Relocate April 18-20 Home Series - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons to be Honored with BBB-Dayton Torch Award - Dayton Dragons
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons on TV Saturday and Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- INF Yeltsin Encarnacion from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Burgos, Ponticelli Stifle Hot Rods - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Out-Hit Captains in 2-1 Series Finale Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars Complete Winning Road Trip - Kane County Cougars
- Cougars Surge Past Kernels Thursday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season
- Cougars Foundation Recognized by Kane County Forest Preserve
- Kane County Cougars Baseball Foundation, Inc. Releases 2019 Annual Report
- Kane County Cougars Baseball Foundation Honored in Times Square