Almond's Birthday Bash Brings 12-2 Win
GENEVA, Illinois - On his 23rd birthday, Kane County Cougars (6-3) catcher Zac Almond went 4-for-5 with two doubles and two RBI to lead his team to a 12-2 win over the Peoria Chiefs (3-5). It was the Cougars fifth win in six games.
The Cougars grabbed three first inning runs. Tra Holmes was hit by a pitch to lead off the game and scored a batter later when Chiefs first baseman Leandro Cedeno airmailed a toss trying to throw out Holmes at third base. The next batter, Eduardo Diaz, belted a ball off the scoreboard in left field for his first homer of the year. The Cougars made it a three-run first when Andy Yerzy scored on an error by Chiefs third baseman Nolan Gorman.
The Cougars scored single runs in the third and fifth to march ahead 5-0. In the sixth, Nolan Gorman left the yard with a two-run shot to right, pulling the Chiefs within three runs. However, the Cougars busted the game open in the bottom of the sixth with five runs on just two hits. Chiefs pitching walked three batters and hit two more in the inning. The dagger in the frame was Alex King's bases-clearing double to push the Cougars ahead 10-2.
In the eighth, Cougar catcher Zac Almond put the cap on his birthday celebration with an opposite field double to drive in his second run of the night. The Cougars plated another run in the ninth on Tra Holmes' sacrifice fly.
Franklyn Soriano (1-0) dazzled in his start, picking up the win, tossing five innings of shutout ball and surrendering just three hits. Ethan Larrison allowed the Gorman homerun, the only two runs he allowed in two innings. Blake Workman shutout the Chiefs over two innings that featured four strikeouts. Jacob Schlesener (0-2) was hit with the loss, lasting 0.2 innings, giving up three runs (two earned) on two hits and two walks.
The Cougars close the three-game series with the Chiefs with a doubleheader on Saturday afternoon at Northwestern Medicine Field. The game one pitching matchup features Cougars' right-hander Justin Vernia (1-0, 1.80) versus Chiefs' right-hander Cole Aker (0-0, 1.93). The game two starters have yet to be announced. First pitch is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. Fans can run the bases postgame, presented by Sonic Drive-In. For tickets call 630-232-8811 or order online on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 12, 2019
- Lugnuts Complete Comeback to Take Game One 5-4 - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Come from Behind to Snap Skid - Clinton LumberKings
- Dayton's Five-Run Sixth Sinks Captains - Lake County Captains
- Big Sixth Inning Propels River Bandits to 8-3 Win at Miller Park - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Blow by 'Caps - West Michigan Whitecaps
- 'Caps 4-Game Winning Streak Ends in Kentucky - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Almond's Birthday Bash Brings 12-2 Win - Kane County Cougars
- Seventh Inning-Rally Spurs Hot Rods to 5-2 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Rattlers fall to River Bandits at Miller Park - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Lugnuts Halt Skid with Late Rally, 5-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Gorman Homers as Chiefs Fall in Kane County - Peoria Chiefs
- Kernels Walk Their Way to 8-3 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Munroe Leads Dragons to Big Win over Lake County, 10-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Long Balls Land Loons Win - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 12 at Bowling Green (Game 9) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Wintry Weather Forecast Forces Doubleheader on Saturday, April 13 - Kane County Cougars
- Bandits Relocate April 18-20 Home Series - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons to be Honored with BBB-Dayton Torch Award - Dayton Dragons
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons on TV Saturday and Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- INF Yeltsin Encarnacion from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Burgos, Ponticelli Stifle Hot Rods - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Out-Hit Captains in 2-1 Series Finale Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars Complete Winning Road Trip - Kane County Cougars
- Cougars Surge Past Kernels Thursday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season