Kernels Walk Their Way to 8-3 Win
CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA - Four bases-loaded walks in the sixth inning flipped the momentum and the lead Friday as the Cedar Rapids Kernels defeated the Burlington Bees, 8-3, at Perfect Game Field at Veterans Memorial Stadium. The Kernels (3-6) tallied six unanswered runs to close the opener of a three-game series with the Bees (6-3).
Burlington jumped out to a 2-0 lead within the top of the second. Gleyvin Pineda collected an RBI single that brought in Nonie Williams, and Pineda scored later in the inning on Michael Stefanic's two-out single.
Andrew Bechtold and Jean Carlos Arias hit back-to-back home runs to pull Cedar Rapids level in its half of the second inning. Bechtold launched a one-out solo shot to center field before Arias lifted a round-tripper over the right-field wall that tied the contest at 2-2.
The Bees regained the lead during the fourth. Alexis Olmeda and DC Arendas drew consecutive walks while Stefanic loaded the bases with a single. Jordyn Adams followed with a walk that forced in Olmeda and put Burlington in front, 3-2.
In the sixth inning, Cedar Rapids scored four runs without any hits to take a 6-3 advantage. Joe Cronin reached first base on a strikeout coupled with a passed ball and tallied the game-tying run after Jacob Pearson's one-out walk. Arias, Gabe Snyder, and Michael Davis each received two-out, bases-loaded walks to build Cedar Rapids' lead.
The Kernels extended their edge to 8-3 within the eighth inning. A three-base error put Bechtold at third, and Arias drove him in via sacrifice fly. Snyder batted next and crushed a solo homer to right-center field that capped the scoring in Friday's game.
Austin Schulfer (1-1) and Carlos Suniaga combined for five scoreless innings of relief to finish the contest. Schulfer gave up just one hit over four shutout frames for his first Midwest League victory.
Luis Alvarado (0-1) was tagged for four unearned runs to be charged with a blown save and a loss. Alvarado inherited a lead from Jake Lee who posted a career-high 10 strikeouts over five innings pitched but did not factor in the decision.
Game two of this three-game series will begin at 5:05 p.m. Saturday. Kernels right-hander Josh Winder (0-0, 3.60) is scheduled to pitch against Bees right-hander Cristopher Molina (0-0, 0.00). Fans unable to attend the contest can follow the action with Chris Kleinhans-Schulz on 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 KMRY FM and also online at www.kmryradio.com, www.kernels.com, and MiLB.TV.
Prior to Saturday's tilt, all kids aged 12 and under can participate in a Pregame Quarter Hunt with $300.00 in quarters spread out on the infield dirt. Gates open at 4:00 p.m. with the Quarter Hunt expected to start around 4:15 p.m.
Fans can purchase tickets for all Cedar Rapids Kernels home games by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 12, 2019
- Lugnuts Complete Comeback to Take Game One 5-4 - South Bend Cubs
- LumberKings Come from Behind to Snap Skid - Clinton LumberKings
- Dayton's Five-Run Sixth Sinks Captains - Lake County Captains
- Big Sixth Inning Propels River Bandits to 8-3 Win at Miller Park - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Loons Blow by 'Caps - West Michigan Whitecaps
- 'Caps 4-Game Winning Streak Ends in Kentucky - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Almond's Birthday Bash Brings 12-2 Win - Kane County Cougars
- Seventh Inning-Rally Spurs Hot Rods to 5-2 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Rattlers fall to River Bandits at Miller Park - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Lugnuts Halt Skid with Late Rally, 5-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Gorman Homers as Chiefs Fall in Kane County - Peoria Chiefs
- Kernels Walk Their Way to 8-3 Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Munroe Leads Dragons to Big Win over Lake County, 10-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Long Balls Land Loons Win - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 12 at Bowling Green (Game 9) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Wintry Weather Forecast Forces Doubleheader on Saturday, April 13 - Kane County Cougars
- Bandits Relocate April 18-20 Home Series - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons to be Honored with BBB-Dayton Torch Award - Dayton Dragons
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Friday - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons on TV Saturday and Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- INF Yeltsin Encarnacion from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Burgos, Ponticelli Stifle Hot Rods - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods Out-Hit Captains in 2-1 Series Finale Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars Complete Winning Road Trip - Kane County Cougars
- Cougars Surge Past Kernels Thursday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.