Conroy Receives Gatorade Call-Up, Replaced By Rockets Assignee
MCALLEN, TEXAS - The NBA Development League Rio Grande Valley Vipers announced today that guard Will Conroy (6-2, 195, Washington) is the fourth GATORADE Call-Up in franchise history, and the second this season, after signing a 10-day contract with the Houston Rockets today. In a related roster move, the Rockets assigned guard Jermaine Taylor (6-4, 210, Central Florida) to the Vipers.
Taylor is expected to be in uniform for the Vipers tomorrow for their home game against the Sioux Falls Skyforce at 7:30 p.m. at Dodge Arena. Conroy is expected to join the Rockets tomorrow in time for their home game against the Portland Trail Blazers at Toyota Center.
Taylor scored a career-high seven points while picking up his first-career steal and an offensive rebound in two minutes on Monday against the Atlanta Hawks. In 13 games he is averaging 2.4 points and 5.5 minutes per game. Taylor previously played at Dodge Arena on October 7 in a pre-season game against the Boston Celtics, picking up one offensive rebound and one steal in nine minutes of action.
"Jermaine has done a terrific job in his role with the Rockets and this opportunity to get extended minutes with the Vipers is the next step in his development. Coach Adelman and his staff have been very impressed with Jermaine's work ethic and his willingness to learn our system. We want to give him the opportunity to get back into regular game situations and let him apply some of the things he has learned during his time with the Rockets. Jermaine's athleticism and scoring ability will make an immediate impact on the Vipers," said Rockets Vice President of Player Personnel Gersson Rosas, who is also the General Manager of the Vipers.
The 32nd pick of 2009 NBA Draft, Taylor was traded to the Rockets by the Washington Wizards about half an hour after the selection. Taylor is the reigning Conference USA Player of the Year after averaging 26.2 points per game, the third highest total in the nation. He upped that number to a conference-record 29.1 points per game against conference foes. Taylor led UCF in scoring in 29 of 31 games while scoring a school-record 821 points, including nine 30-point and one 40-point performance. He was a 48% shooter from the field and hit the fourth-most three pointers in a single-season in school history (92) while connecting on 37.6% of his attempts. Taylor also led the team in rebounding at 5.2 per game. Taylor is the all-time leading scorer in UCF Division I history and ranks fourth all-time in conference-history with 1,979 points. He also set a school record by hitting 251 three-pointers during his career.
This is Conroy's fourth-career GATORADE Call-Up. Conroy received three GATORADE Call-Ups during the 2006-07 season, playing in three games after one call-up with the Memphis Grizzlies and four games after two call-ups with the Los Angeles Clippers. Overall, he picked up nine assists and seven rebounds in 51 minutes of action.
In 13 games with the Vipers, Conroy averaged 13.9 points, 4.3 rebounds, 8.4 assists and 1.5 steals per game.
"We were very impressed with Will during Rockets training camp and he has continued his fine play as a member of the Vipers. Will is an NBA-caliber guard who will benefit from spending additional time with the Rockets. Since joining the Vipers at the end of December, Will has demonstrated the high level of consistency that we've come to expect from him. He will provide the Rockets with additional depth and stability at the guard position," Rosas said.
Conroy is the NBA Development League's all-time leader in points (2,960), assists (1,372), minutes played (6,181), free throws made (714) and free throws attempted (1,017). He is also third all-time in steals (249).
The last cut in Rockets training camp, Conroy averaged 6.0 points 2.6 assists in five pre-season games.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 28, 2010
- Tulsa Falls To Iowa 107-104 - Tulsa 66ers
- D-Fenders Collapse In First Of Two Battles Against The Toros - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Looby's Triple Double Powers T-Birds Past Wizards - New Mexico Thunderbirds
- Toros Continue Win Streak After Defeating the D-Fenders, 119-103 - Austin Spurs
- Jeffers' Heroics Push Energy Past Tulsa 107-104 - Iowa Wolves
- Bighorns Acquire Blalock From Maine - Reno Bighorns
- Red Claws Acquire Robinson For Blalock - Maine Red Claws
- Rio Grande Valley's Will Conroy Signs With Houston Rockets, Rockets Assign Rookie Guard - G League
- Conroy Receives Gatorade Call-Up, Replaced By Rockets Assignee - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- D-Fenders Pick Up James Wright, Waive Lawrence McKenzie - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Winder Leads Vipers To Victory In Front Of Record Crowd On Kids Day - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- 66ers Game Vs. Iowa Energy Weather Update - Tulsa 66ers
- Armor Re-Acquire JamesOn Curry - Springfield Armor
- Red Claws Acquire Guard Dominique Coleman - Maine Red Claws
- NBA D-League Daily Developments - G League
- Red Claws Dancer On Deal Or No Deal - Maine Red Claws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.