D-Fenders Collapse In First Of Two Battles Against The Toros
Austin, TX January 28 - The Austin Toros and the LA D-Fenders battled it out Thursday night at the Austin Convention Center, with the Toros coming out on top 119-103.
Los Angeles trailed 28-22 at the end of the first quarter, but was able to take the lead, 41-40, with 4:35 left in the second quarter, after Michael Fey hit a pair of free throws. There were eight lead changes in the remainder of the quarter, with the Toros having the advantage at the half, 56-55. Alonzo Gee led all at the half with 15 points.
The Toros led the entire second half, outscoring the D-Fenders 32-23 in the third quarter. Curtis Jerrells had 12 points and three assists in the quarter alone. Led by Bowen, shooting six of nine in the final quarter, the Toros outscored the D-Fenders 31-25, and increased their win streak to five games.
There were a few key factors in the game, including shots from beyond the arc, with the Toros hitting 13-of-26 (50.0%) and the D-Fenders making 3-of-13 (23.1%). Austin also had the upper hand on second chance points, outscoring L.A. 23-8. The Toros outrebounded the D-Fenders 55-28.
Jerrells added 25 points for Austin. Hairston (22), Gee (20), Bowen (19), Dwayne Jones (14), and Eddie Basden (12) also scored in double figures for the Toros. Jones acquired his 20th double-double of the season with 17 rebounds. Hairston and Gee added double-doubles with 10 assists and 11 rebounds.
Coming off the bench, Dar Tucker led the D-Fenders with 21 points. L.A. had four other players in double figures: Joe Crawford (20), Fey (20), Horace Wormely (17), and Diamon Simpson (16).
The Toros (14-9) and the D-Fenders (8-12) face off tomorrow night at the Austin Convention Center at 5:30pm PST.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 28, 2010
- Tulsa Falls To Iowa 107-104 - Tulsa 66ers
- D-Fenders Collapse In First Of Two Battles Against The Toros - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Looby's Triple Double Powers T-Birds Past Wizards - New Mexico Thunderbirds
- Toros Continue Win Streak After Defeating the D-Fenders, 119-103 - Austin Spurs
- Jeffers' Heroics Push Energy Past Tulsa 107-104 - Iowa Wolves
- Bighorns Acquire Blalock From Maine - Reno Bighorns
- Red Claws Acquire Robinson For Blalock - Maine Red Claws
- Rio Grande Valley's Will Conroy Signs With Houston Rockets, Rockets Assign Rookie Guard - G League
- Conroy Receives Gatorade Call-Up, Replaced By Rockets Assignee - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- D-Fenders Pick Up James Wright, Waive Lawrence McKenzie - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Winder Leads Vipers To Victory In Front Of Record Crowd On Kids Day - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- 66ers Game Vs. Iowa Energy Weather Update - Tulsa 66ers
- Armor Re-Acquire JamesOn Curry - Springfield Armor
- Red Claws Acquire Guard Dominique Coleman - Maine Red Claws
- NBA D-League Daily Developments - G League
- Red Claws Dancer On Deal Or No Deal - Maine Red Claws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles D-Fenders Stories
- MVP Vander Blue Leads 2016-17 All-NBA Development League First Team
- Vander Blue Named NBA Development League MVP
- D-Fenders Comeback Falls Short in Year-Ending Loss to Vipers
- Los Angeles Lakers Recall Nwaba from D-Fenders
- D-Fenders Dodge Vipers Comeback, Stay Alive in Title Hunt