Winder Leads Vipers To Victory In Front Of Record Crowd On Kids Day
HIDALGO, TEXAS - In front of a record crowd of 6,073 fans, most of whom were elementary school students, Craig Winder scored a season-high 23 points to lead the Rio Grande Valley Vipers past the Sioux Falls Skyforce, 108-94, today at Dodge Arena.
The Vipers (18-6) are now winners of three-straight.
The Vipers trailed 17-6 early in the first, but after climbing to within 26-21 at the end of the quarter, the Vipers hit 15-of-19 (78.9%) shots in the second quarter while outscoring the Skyforce (12-13) 38-16 to take a 59-42 lead.
Mike Harris recorded his eighth double-double of the season with 18 points and 11 rebounds. He also tied his career-high with four steals to go with three assists and one blocked shots. Will Conroy narrowly missed a triple-double with 10 points, seven rebounds, eight assists and one blocked shot. Julian Sensley tied his career-high by hitting three three-pointers as part of a 16-point performance. Mickell Gladness narrowly missed a double-double with eight points, nine rebounds and three blocked shots.
The Skyforce were led by Alexander Johnson, who scored 24 points and eight rebounds in his team debut. Reggie Williams chipped in with 18 points and seven rebounds while David Bailey recorded 14 points and six assists.
The Vipers and Skyforce play again on Hawaiian night tomorrow at 7:30 at Dodge Arena. Doors open at 6:30. The first 1,000 fans through the doors will receive beach towels, courtesy of Burns Motors. Greeters of Honolulu will perform at halftime. The Vipers will also honor the 1963 UTPA men's basketball NAIA championship team.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 28, 2010
- Tulsa Falls To Iowa 107-104 - Tulsa 66ers
- D-Fenders Collapse In First Of Two Battles Against The Toros - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Looby's Triple Double Powers T-Birds Past Wizards - New Mexico Thunderbirds
- Toros Continue Win Streak After Defeating the D-Fenders, 119-103 - Austin Spurs
- Jeffers' Heroics Push Energy Past Tulsa 107-104 - Iowa Wolves
- Bighorns Acquire Blalock From Maine - Reno Bighorns
- Red Claws Acquire Robinson For Blalock - Maine Red Claws
- Rio Grande Valley's Will Conroy Signs With Houston Rockets, Rockets Assign Rookie Guard - G League
- Conroy Receives Gatorade Call-Up, Replaced By Rockets Assignee - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- D-Fenders Pick Up James Wright, Waive Lawrence McKenzie - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Winder Leads Vipers To Victory In Front Of Record Crowd On Kids Day - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- 66ers Game Vs. Iowa Energy Weather Update - Tulsa 66ers
- Armor Re-Acquire JamesOn Curry - Springfield Armor
- Red Claws Acquire Guard Dominique Coleman - Maine Red Claws
- NBA D-League Daily Developments - G League
- Red Claws Dancer On Deal Or No Deal - Maine Red Claws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- RGV Vipers Advance to Western Conference Semifinals
- RGV Vipers Will Host Texas Legends on Friday, March 30 in NBA G League Playoffs
- RGV Vipers Host Texas Legends in Western Conference Quarterfinals
- Vipers Drop Last Regular Season Game Before Playoffs
- Vipers Outshoot the Stars