Looby's Triple Double Powers T-Birds Past Wizards
ALBUQUERQUE, NM, Jan. 28, 2010 - Kurt Looby recorded his second career NBA Development League triple double, notching 12 points, 11 rebounds and a T-Birds franchise record 10 blocks to lead Albuquerque to a 97-83 victory over Dakota on Thursday night. His 10 blocks is tied for the most in the D-League this season.
The Thunderbirds led 26-22 at the end of the first quarter. The team outscored Dakota 32-18 in the second to take an 18 point lead into halftime. Albuquerque shot 57.5% in the first half, compared to just 41.9% for the Wizards.
Dakota opened the second half on a 14-2 run, and the lead was down to just six with 7:00 to play in the third. The Thunderbirds connected on five free throws over the next 26 seconds, and the lead was back to double figures.
The Wizards cut the lead to three with 3:00 to play in the third, but the T-Birds responded with a three by Chad Toppert and an emphatic dunk by Looby on consecutive plays to push the lead back to eight.
The Thunderbirds led by nine going into the fourth, thanks in large part to eight third quarter points from Carlos Powell.
Albuquerque led 84-74 with 5:50 to play in the fourth after Looby sent his ninth rejection of the game into the T-Birds bench. He blocked his tenth shot just a few plays later, giving him franchise's first ever triple double.
Carlos Powell led all Albuquerque scorers with 24 points. Tony Danridge and Chad Toppert each added 12, while Kris Collins and Antoine Agudio scored 11. Jason Horton recorded 10 assists, giving him double figures in that category for the second time this season.
Romel Beck paced Dakota with 23 points. Marcus Dove and David Bell each chipped in 12.
The Thunderbirds led by as many as 21 in the game, and never trailed after the first quarter. Albuquerque shot 48.6% from the field, while holding Dakota to just 33.3% for the game.
The T-Birds will be in action on Jan. 30 when they once again host the Dakota Wizards, and you can bring your group out to the game for as low as $4 per ticket. Call 505.265.3865 or visit www.abqtbirds.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 28, 2010
- Tulsa Falls To Iowa 107-104 - Tulsa 66ers
- D-Fenders Collapse In First Of Two Battles Against The Toros - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Looby's Triple Double Powers T-Birds Past Wizards - New Mexico Thunderbirds
- Toros Continue Win Streak After Defeating the D-Fenders, 119-103 - Austin Spurs
- Jeffers' Heroics Push Energy Past Tulsa 107-104 - Iowa Wolves
- Bighorns Acquire Blalock From Maine - Reno Bighorns
- Red Claws Acquire Robinson For Blalock - Maine Red Claws
- Rio Grande Valley's Will Conroy Signs With Houston Rockets, Rockets Assign Rookie Guard - G League
- Conroy Receives Gatorade Call-Up, Replaced By Rockets Assignee - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- D-Fenders Pick Up James Wright, Waive Lawrence McKenzie - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Winder Leads Vipers To Victory In Front Of Record Crowd On Kids Day - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- 66ers Game Vs. Iowa Energy Weather Update - Tulsa 66ers
- Armor Re-Acquire JamesOn Curry - Springfield Armor
- Red Claws Acquire Guard Dominique Coleman - Maine Red Claws
- NBA D-League Daily Developments - G League
- Red Claws Dancer On Deal Or No Deal - Maine Red Claws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.